LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Indicator kit on a Vape Static kit

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Indicator kit on a Vape Static kit

Postby jdevane5 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:45 pm

I have just fitted a Vape static ignition to a new engine build /RT230 kit.
I'm thinking I will need to fit indicators as the frame is 1990 GP150.

Question is can I fit led indicators to a non battery motor with Vape Static, or will I need to sort a battery?

Cheers
JF
jdevane5

Re: Indicator kit on a Vape Static kit

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:03 pm

Some SIL Gp's were non battery models with indicators.
These used a simple "bi-metalic strip" type indicator relay which would work on either AC or DC.
There are a number of variants of these simple relays out there in the market place, but basically, they all work on the principle that they need a specific electrical load to make them flash at the correct rate. That load being 2 indicator bulbs. Problem with these was, they flashed ok when the engine had some revs, but became very lethargic at tickover and very pathetic if the main lights were on.
So to get reliable indicator operation it really needs to be on DC.
DC is a virtual must if you plan using LED indicator lamps.
Fast n Furious

Postby Knowledge » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:38 pm

jdevane5 wrote:Question is can I fit led indicators to a non battery motor with Vape Static, or will I need to sort a battery? Cheers
JF

The fact that your VAPE has static ignition is irrelevant. What really matters is whether your VAPE and regulator put out DC or AC power. If you want to run LED indicators then DC is best. LED’s really don’t like AC power and you can buy DC digital indicator relays for a few quid off eBay.

You can fit a very small 1.2Ah battery if you wish. It is easy to hide away and can be mounted at any angle.

But first, can you confirm whether your VAPE is DC or AC (though I think I know the answer)?
Knowledge

Postby jdevane5 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:38 am

I have VAPE Static AC ignition.
So sounds like I need to go down the original SIL route, I've found the indicator relay.

Its a 1990 frame so I'm assuming I have to fit indicators...
jdevane5

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:17 pm

Yup.
Fast n Furious

Postby jdevane5 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:19 pm

I'm finally getting around to sorting indicators out.
I'm going for a complete LED indicator setup off a battery now. Seems the best way to go.
Any tips on the circuit,looks pretty straight forward although I now need to check the harness I originally bought to see if I need to modify.
Last question do you need to fit the front brake to the brake light setup with a SIL 1990 Reg, I've read conflicting info.

Cheers
JD
jdevane5

Return to Tuning & Kits