LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Ts1 and boxpipe opinions please.

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Ts1 and boxpipe opinions please.

Postby Speedy Hufton » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:29 pm

Eh up all just asking a question that's probably been asked a million times. What it is basically that I've always ran road expansion chambers, not revving, on all my motors other than a proper stage 4 I have with scootopia Ancillotti. So here's my question. Building a standard Ts1 , 58x107 crank, Dellorto vhsa 30mm, AF Close 5 with 34t 5th gear, 4.8:1 final drive. I've got a version 4 bgm clubman I've never used and wondered about 2 things.1/ Will this pipe hamper speed massively higher up the range compared to a touring expansion, and 2/ What is the longevity of these pipes as it HAS to be show chromed for the bike it's going on. Any advice or experience would be appreciated as I dunna want fut spend £300 on chroming for it just fut fall to bits., cheers, Speedy
Speedy Hufton

Re: Ts1 and boxpipe opinions please.

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:52 am

Firstly, I believe that your BGM will definitely hamper your top speed. I've heard a lot of good reports from friends about the Chiselspeed Powerbox box pipe on TS1's. I'm told a friends makes more power than the CST3 he had on previously. No idea about their longevity but I hope that answers some of your question.

https://www.chiselspeed.co.uk/store/product/CHISCST23

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:37 am

Personally, I wouldn’t spend money on chroming a box pipe with internal baffles. Too often, the baffles come loose and the silencer needs to be cut to reweld.

I have a steel lined TS1 with added boost port, 4.4 final drive. I have had the TS1 for over 12 years. My most recent exhaust change was made in the knowledge that it would probably down tune the engine. I swapped the CST3 for a Ron Moss Avanti, the one with baffles. I loved the CST3 but I had just had enough of the look of an expansion pipe.

I only lost a little bit of power with the Avanti exhaust. The gearing remained the same and I’d say the torque is roughly unchanged.

I have never used an MB/bgm Clubman on my TS1 but I have used a Version 1 on other engines. I’d guess that you would lose a significant amount of power if you go with that. In my experience, the Avanti lets the engine rev on a lot more than a bgm and, I am guessing that the Chiselspeed pipe is the same, if not better.
Storkfoot

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:14 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Personally, I wouldn’t spend money on chroming a box pipe with internal baffles. Too often, the baffles come loose and the silencer needs to be cut to reweld.

I have a steel lined TS1 with added boost port, 4.4 final drive. I have had the TS1 for over 12 years. My most recent exhaust change was made in the knowledge that it would probably down tune the engine. I swapped the CST3 for a Ron Moss Avanti, the one with baffles. I loved the CST3 but I had just had enough of the look of an expansion pipe.

I only lost a little bit of power with the Avanti exhaust. The gearing remained the same and I’d say the torque is roughly unchanged.

I have never used an MB/bgm Clubman on my TS1 but I have used a Version 1 on other engines. I’d guess that you would lose a significant amount of power if you go with that. In my experience, the Avanti lets the engine rev on a lot more than a bgm and, I am guessing that the Chiselspeed pipe is the same, if not better.

Hi Paul,

Surely then, if he went for the Avanti ST, he wouldn't have the problem of baffles coming loose and chroming would be ok?

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:21 pm

I presume so but I’d check with Ron Moss as to whether there is any sound deadening in there, even if there are no baffles. I am no chroming expert but I would guess that putting an exhaust through the treatment necessary to chrome would be harmful to sound deadening :idea:

I believe the ST is noisy so, maybe before spending a lot of money on chroming, it would be a good idea to try it out first.

But then, I think most chromers will only chrome a new exhaust to avoid their acid tanks being contaminated. Nothing is simple :D
Storkfoot

Postby Vega125s » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:20 pm

Hi
Having been running a TS 200 with a BGM box pipe for a number of years, since the BGM box pipe came out , so the first version , didn’t notice much difference to the previous expansion. Only now when taken off have I noticed the baffles inside loose, so a good exhaust for longevity . My li is running an Avanti225 with an x box that I had chromed , brilliant exhaust , no baffles , has the end can.
Vega125s

Postby superhooper » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:43 pm

ex box ST works well on my ts1 but unlike an tinny expansion sound it gives a lower tone which is not that quiet

Super
superhooper

Postby Leotech » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:09 pm

I was in AF other week and was talking to Ben about this exact topic as I'm not an expansion pipe fan.

He said they are good to a point, he said with a PHBH carb and Avanti box pipe you will get a decent level of performance, more than a RT225 kit for example but it will not match a TS1 with flat slide and expansion.
Leotech

Postby bike grim » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:32 pm

Avanti Exbox and Exbox ST both work well on my DSC road tuned steel liner TS1 with 4.6 final drive on a 5 speed box. More rideablilty than the supertourer and CST3 but about 5 mph down on top speed. I can’t compare the BGM on a TS1 but I’ve used a BGM V4 on both Rapido 225 and a cast 205 and on both occasions it felt like it stifled top end power.
bike grim

Postby jonoy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:55 pm

Have a Ron moss ex box clubman.
Nice flat curve between gears.
jonoy

Postby Speedy Hufton » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:07 pm

Thanks for the info folks, it's appreciated. Think I may hang back on doing it until I'm absolutely certain as the main issue is that it must be chromed fut fit the rest of the bike. I hear very mixed things regards the v4 bgm, so unsure still. It's just that I got one sat about that I never used on anything. May look at the chiselspeed one when longevity tests have been done. Cheers, Speedy.
Speedy Hufton

Postby dickie » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm

If it's any help, I had my ex-box and my bgm v3 nickel plated, without any harm.

The bgm failed due to the plate splitting, as many others found too.

My ex-box is still going strong after several years; I think mine was the first production one on a TS1.

It's now on a RT230 with a different stub manifold.

Went great on both motors.
dickie

Return to Tuning & Kits