LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Casatronic ignition

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Casatronic ignition

Postby a-teamlambretta » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:45 pm

I have just fitted a casatronic ignition the one that you don't have to set timing. Before connecting up the wiring I hooked up a battery to test lights ect also a bgm rear light. Everything works including horn which is a DC type. Engine fired up no problem but now rear light board (bgm) and horn are crap. I presume that it's an AC system with the DC from a battery if used and charged from the spare output. My question is should the bgm rear light work on either DC or AC? I know i will have to change the horn or use battery.

Cheers Simon.
a-teamlambretta

Re: Casatronic ignition

Postby a-teamlambretta » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:21 pm

Update....it seems I have a short circuit which I have traced back to the stator. There are 3 wires from the stator, brown, red and black. I presume 1 for the pickup 1 is the DC supply and the other is the AC . I did a continuity test and all 3 make a circuit..I did the same on a spare Indian stator with the pickup and lights not making a circuit . Does anyone have a spare stator they could test for me ?

Cheers Simon.
a-teamlambretta

Postby lofty » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:33 pm

I have fiddled with one of these and they can be a bit of an enigma, but when working are great..

ive got a feeling the stator wires are trigger, earth and power (which is then split between regulator and CD in the loom)..

check theres a good earth between stator/frame/CDI/regulator
check the three pin plug as I had one of the pins pushed in to the housing, meaning it wasn't connecting properly to its corresponding socket.

the brown wire is 'traditional' AC output and will power lights, horn etc fine, red is battery output which, if used, should have a battery connected and wired in..
A DC horn will work on AC but will be a bit less efficient on AC, LED lights might be a bit flickery al low revs on AC, but should work on both DC/AC (unless connected wrong way round).
lofty

Postby a-teamlambretta » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:53 pm

It's definitely got a good earth...as said when doing a continuity test all 3 wires make a circuit...in my logic only the earth should make a circuit.
a-teamlambretta

Postby lofty » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:28 am

depending on the sensitivity of your meter the two 'non earth' wires will still show almost earth (and may 'beep' on a continuity tester)..
real earth should be noticeably less than 1 ohm, the others typically anywhere between 5-100 ohm (guess)..
unless the wire is trapped under the stator and pinched through the insulation, which would then mean all wires could show a true earth, but then nothing would work or light up..
lofty

Postby a-teamlambretta » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:50 am

lofty wrote:depending on the sensitivity of your meter the two 'non earth' wires will still show almost earth (and may 'beep' on a continuity tester)..
real earth should be noticeably less than 1 ohm, the others typically anywhere between 5-100 ohm (guess)..
unless the wire is trapped under the stator and pinched through the insulation, which would then mean all wires could show a true earth, but then nothing would work or light up..

Meter is working fine.. showing 95ohms for the pickup on an Indian stator . On the casatronic stator all are earthing... when installed front lights are good , horn is crap as it's a DC type rear light bgm is crap .... . Connected a battery up but as soon as you put the neg to earth it's shorting out. .remove brown from loom at the junction box end, still the same . Using simplified loom . Remove stator , hook battery up every thing works and no shorting out.

Seems odd all 3 wires on the casatronic go straight to earth..?? No visible damage or wire touching on the coils .

Cheers Simon
a-teamlambretta

Postby lofty » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:07 am

It sounds like you've covered the bases, and it certainly is pointing to a dodgy stator..

I am out of ideas, but I hope you get it sorted :-)
lofty

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:35 pm

I’ve a few spare Casa stators so I’ll check
ULC Soulagent

Postby jonoy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:18 pm

Can you still buy casatronic stators ?
jonoy

Postby a-teamlambretta » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:48 am

ULC Soulagent wrote:I’ve a few spare Casa stators so I’ll check

Thanks...this what I was hoping for.

Cheers Simon
a-teamlambretta

Postby a-teamlambretta » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:51 am

a-teamlambretta wrote:
ULC Soulagent wrote:I’ve a few spare Casa stators so I’ll check

Thanks...this what I was hoping for.

Cheers Simon

Ps it's the casatronic Ducati sport 12 pole 3 wire type , the one you don't need to set the firing point.
a-teamlambretta

Postby a-teamlambretta » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:59 am

jonoy wrote:Can you still buy casatronic stators ?

Yes £120...on top of the kit that costs the thick end of £500 ...hence wanting to make sure that it is a faulty stator before lashing out on a new one.
a-teamlambretta

Postby jonoy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:54 pm

a-teamlambretta wrote:

Yes £120...on top of the kit that costs the thick end of £500 ...hence wanting to make sure that it is a faulty stator before lashing out on a new one.

Ok i have the previous casatronic and was wondering if you can still buy a replacement stator for it
jonoy

Postby Psychedelicropcircle » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:20 pm

jonoy wrote:
a-teamlambretta wrote:

Ok i have the previous casatronic and was wondering if you can still buy a replacement stator for it

Can get them from Cambridge Lambretta same as a varitronic.
Psychedelicropcircle

Return to Tuning & Kits