LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Checking (Vape) for faulty Ignition

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Checking (Vape) for faulty Ignition

Postby Bilko » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:27 pm

I have a Vape Ignition on my S3 and back in September it died while I was out with no spark. I had a fiddle about with the wiring but all connections were good. Fast forward to this week and I’m finally getting round to getting it ready for France.

I checked for a spark and one was present, threw in a bit of petrol and oddly it fired up.

What I’m concerned about is the same problem returning when I’m out on it. With an ordinary ignition, there’s the usual methods like removing the green stator and checking for a spark etc, but with the Vape it’s a complete different set up.

What I’m asking is, is there a method or system I can use to check for faults?
Bilko

Re: Checking (Vape) for faulty Ignition

Postby Toddy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:54 pm

Are the earths all good I’ve found this is one of the main issues with the vape ignition if you don’t earth it well
Toddy

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:22 am

A common problem that mostly, but not exclusively, affects Indian made stators is a breakage in the fine wire that makes up the LT coil on the stator.
If the LT coil has gone bad, it's common for the ignition to fail whilst the engine is hot. When it cools down, contraction occurs, which temporarily allows the LT coil to function again.
Best to go out and get the engine good and hot whilst maintaining a pushing distance home.
The LT wire from the stator should show around 60VAc at kickstart speed and max out at around 200Vac when revved.
If the LT coil goes open circuit then your readings will be significantly less than this indicating a goosed LT coil.
Fast n Furious

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:11 am

FnF. Whilst your response is appropriate for Ducati style six pole stator plates, this enquiry is about a VAPE and they don’t have an LT coil.
Knowledge

Postby jonw » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:59 pm

I'll second the requirement for a VERY sound earth with VAPES on both Lambretta and Vespa.
jonw

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:39 pm

I'm trying to post a pic on this thread and getting the message " Sorry the board attachment quota has been reached"
What's this about? :evil:
Fast n Furious

Postby Toddy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:40 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:I'm trying to post a pic on this thread and getting the message " Sorry the board attachment quota has been reached"
What's this about? :evil:

You need to post with a hosing site like these
https://postimg.cc/files
Toddy

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:04 am

I don't have 1st hand experience with these Vape stators but looking at the attached photo of one, it looks like 8 Lighting coils, 2 pick-up coils and 1 conspicuously looking LT coil.
Am I missing a trick here?
Fast n Furious

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:27 am

Thanks Toddy. :)
Fast n Furious

Postby Leotech » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:46 am

The Vape official mounting brackets are rubber mounted, I have seen people earth the leads to the bracket, obviously it it not earthed properly. It will work for a while but eventually stops working. (A bit like the Ducati type CDI when the earth leads snap off)

The best bet is to connect the earth off the CDI to the extra earth lead from the stator.
Leotech

Postby Bilko » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:58 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Bilko

Postby Bilko » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:59 pm

Leotech wrote:The Vape official mounting brackets are rubber mounted, I have seen people earth the leads to the bracket, obviously it it not earthed properly. It will work for a while but eventually stops working. (A bit like the Ducati type CDI when the earth leads snap off)

The best bet is to connect the earth off the CDI to the extra earth lead from the stator.

I’ve a feeling I’ve done the same.

I’ll get a look tomorrow

Thanks for the advice
Bilko

Postby jonw » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:00 am

Even their instructions regards the earth say "MAKE SURE THAT CONNECTION IS 100% GIVEN!).
I run an additional earth strap linking from the bracket mount point to somewhere on the engine case or frame.
jonw

Postby Captain Pugwash » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:58 pm

the missing magnet ignition system. ;) PM sent Bilko.
Captain Pugwash

Return to Tuning & Kits