LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

CST powerbox exhaust for RT230?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

CST powerbox exhaust for RT230?

Postby shawit » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:52 pm

Has anyone tried a BGM clubman and a CST powerbox exhaust on the same RT225 / 230 engine which has a 30mmPHBH?
Based on comments from 1 person I'm inclined to go for the CST powerbox but want to know if others found a difference.
There is quite a price difference!
shawit

Re: CST powerbox exhaust for RT230?

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:07 am

I have Avanti Ex Box ST on my RT230 Reed, which is great. The only feedback i've seen from mates with the CST Powerbox is a 1bhp increase in power over a CST3 on a TS1.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Knowledge » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:09 am

I am not surprised that the Powerbox is more money: there is a lot of extra work in the CST item.

It’s the first time I’ve seen this pipe. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I’d be interested to know how loud it is compared to the BGM or an Avanti ST box pipe.
Knowledge

Postby bookertmgs1 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:15 pm

The main concern about the Powerbox would be the actual main body of the exhaust. Anyone know whether its a convereted BGM or a SIP clubman thats used.

The interior baffles of the BGM pipes don't have a massive longevity in my experience (mostly V3's - but had the same issue on a V4)

I've started having them split / repaired / welded back up - but there is only so many times you can do that - plus its a pain when they come lose as its spoils the ride / trip. The V4's had additional baffles which reduced the performance too. If its the V4 BGM they are using - then be interested to know how this is being circumnavigated.

At £485 - i'd want some sort of reassurance that this is being stood up by supplier / manufactuerer for more than a season.
bookertmgs1

Postby bike grim » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:55 pm

Do they look like a bit of a bodge up? …be honest. They also retain a weak spot (in my experience) on the header where weld crack. I have suffered on more than one occasion on 2 different CST pipes.
How do they get around the “gassing up” issue that the BGM suffers from due to the narrow tail pipe on a big CC motor?
I have seen one fitted up close. It looks like the V4 BGM to me.
I’ve heard a clip of a Quattrini running one and it sounds like a BGM - which is a positive.
bike grim

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:12 am

bookertmgs1 wrote:The main concern about the Powerbox would be the actual main body of the exhaust. Anyone know whether its a convereted BGM or a SIP clubman thats used.

The interior baffles of the BGM pipes don't have a massive longevity in my experience (mostly V3's - but had the same issue on a V4)

I've started having them split / repaired / welded back up - but there is only so many times you can do that - plus its a pain when they come lose as its spoils the ride / trip. The V4's had additional baffles which reduced the performance too. If its the V4 BGM they are using - then be interested to know how this is being circumnavigated.

At £485 - i'd want some sort of reassurance that this is being stood up by supplier / manufactuerer for more than a season.

Don't quote me on this as I am not 100% certain but I think you are right in that it's a converted BGM.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby martyn dwane » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:24 pm

From Chisel speeds website.
.THEY ARE BLENDED FROM OUR USUAL HEAVY DUTY SHEET STEEL AND A BGM EXHAUST BOX TO GIVE THE CLASSIC LOOK BUT NO LACK OF PERFORMANCE.
martyn dwane

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:20 pm

martyn dwane wrote:From Chisel speeds website.
.THEY ARE BLENDED FROM OUR USUAL HEAVY DUTY SHEET STEEL AND A BGM EXHAUST BOX TO GIVE THE CLASSIC LOOK BUT NO LACK OF PERFORMANCE.

Thought i'd read that somewhere, thanks Martyn.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Return to Tuning & Kits