LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Mitas Tyre and SIP rim issue

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Mitas Tyre and SIP rim issue

Postby ROClarke » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:17 am

Can anyone recommend a tyre model/manufacturer which are easier to fit.
Given up trying to fit a Mitas MC35S Racer to a wide SIP rim.
ROClarke

Re: Mitas Tyre and SIP rim issue

Postby nsaints » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:22 am

I struggled with Michelin S83’s and Scootopia rims for a number of years
Bought some BGM rim’s and so much easier with the S83’s
nsaints

Postby tonytoolbox » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:51 pm

ive used all types of tyre on afr,sip,and bgm tubless rims i heat up tyre with hot air gun use some tyre soap and ive never had an issue
hope this helps ;)
tonytoolbox

Postby ROClarke » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:58 am

tonytoolbox wrote:ive used all types of tyre on afr,sip,and bgm tubless rims i heat up tyre with hot air gun use some tyre soap and ive never had an issue
hope this helps ;)

What tyre do you use,I would challenge you to get a Mitas tyre on using just a hot air gun.
ROClarke

Postby Thackers » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:17 am

Yep, I also struggled to get Mitas touring force tyres onto SIP rims. I have a home made jig to hold the rims and although it can be tight I manage, but not so easily on the Mitas.
I got one on and just managed to seat the tyre using lighter fluid, 2nd I kinked the steel bead. Yes this was heating the tyre and using proper tyre soap along with decent length levers and rim protectors. After buying another tyre I took it to a fitter who although had no trouble getting the tyre on, he did struggle to seat it.
In the past I have fitted Dunlop Scootsmart with a bit of a fight and a Vee Rubber without too much bother.
Thackers

Postby bolzenanker » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:43 am

Mitas MC20 are fairly easy now I have a technique, fairly soft wall means I can get them on with a bit of huffing and puffing. I still have to cut them off though.

Heidenau K80 SR, were too stiff for me, no chance they were going on just using tyre soap and levers.
bolzenanker

Postby corrado » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:18 pm

bolzenanker wrote:Mitas MC20 are fairly easy now I have a technique, fairly soft wall means I can get them on with a bit of huffing and puffing. I still have to cut them off though.

Heidenau K80 SR, were too stiff for me, no chance they were going on just using tyre soap and levers.

100% in agreement with that. My tyre fitter has fitted hundreds of Mitas tyres with no issues using a tyre lever, but the Heidenau (and BGM Sport made by Heidenau) were really tight and I worried that he'd break the rim. I no longer offer Heidenau or BGM fitting on tubeless rims, though I do sometimes buy the BGM tyres pre-fitted to FA Italia (Octopus) tubeless rims direct from BGM.

I always recommend cutting the old ones off. When fitting with levers you're pushing over the rim on the wheel so it doesn't usually mark the rim but when removing with levers you have to pull the lever in reverse back onto the lip which nearly always leaves a mark.
corrado

Postby ROClarke » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:53 pm

Slowly realising that AFR rims are an issue with some tyres.
Not sure about FA Italia.
ROClarke

Postby coaster » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:35 am

M experience, Mitas Monson? 2 ply side walls, easy with levers and soap.
Scootsmart low load rating 2 ply side walls, not too difficult with levers and soap
Scootsmart high load rating 3 ply side walls, difficult with levers and soap but doable
Hidenaugh high load rating 3 ply side walls....fekin impossible :roll: following Sticky's method with shortened levers also long levers and a board with wedges to hold the wheel still , gave up when beed snapped with a bang :o I'd bought two and the other went on a split rim.

All tyres were warmed by standing on the radiator for an hour or so.
coaster

Postby corrado » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:23 am

ROClarke wrote: Slowly realising that AFR rims are an issue with some tyres. Not sure about FA Italia.

The centre well isn't as deep on the AF rims as it is on the Sip & FA Italia. As you're stood in front of a wheel & tyre on a fitting machine if the well is deeper the distance to the far rim edge is less hence the tyre is easier to flip over that far lip. That's why tyres are easier to fit on Sip and FA Italia than they are on AF. Trade off is that deeper well needs the centre of the wheel to be made thicker and that's why you need the longer studs on the Sip & FA but the AF rims still fit with the normal studs.

Had hundreds of tyres fitted on Sip rims and plenty fitted on the FA Italia but I gave up on the AF ones as they were much harder to get tyres on.
corrado

Postby jonoy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:18 pm

I have one of the later af tubeless rims and you need longer studs for this
jonoy

Postby ROClarke » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 pm

coaster wrote:M experience, Mitas Monson? 2 ply side walls, easy with levers and soap.
Scootsmart low load rating 2 ply side walls, not too difficult with levers and soap
Scootsmart high load rating 3 ply side walls, difficult with levers and soap but doable
Hidenaugh high load rating 3 ply side walls....fekin impossible :roll: following Sticky's method with shortened levers also long levers and a board with wedges to hold the wheel still , gave up when beed snapped with a bang :o I'd bought two and the other went on a split rim.

All tyres were warmed by standing on the radiator for an hour or so.

Thanks Coaster
That is really helpful.
I am fed up with people saying that their tuner fits any tyres with no issues.
ROClarke

Postby ROClarke » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:46 pm

corrado wrote:
ROClarke wrote: Slowly realising that AFR rims are an issue with some tyres. Not sure about FA Italia.

The centre well isn't as deep on the AF rims as it is on the Sip & FA Italia. As you're stood in front of a wheel & tyre on a fitting machine if the well is deeper the distance to the far rim edge is less hence the tyre is easier to flip over that far lip. That's why tyres are easier to fit on Sip and FA Italia than they are on AF. Trade off is that deeper well needs the centre of the wheel to be made thicker and that's why you need the longer studs on the Sip & FA but the AF rims still fit with the normal studs.

Had hundreds of tyres fitted on Sip rims and plenty fitted on the FA Italia but I gave up on the AF ones as they were much harder to get tyres on.

Cheers mate.
ROClarke

Postby ROClarke » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:48 pm

Fitted Dunlop tyre today on a FA Italia rim.
Basically stood the tyre in front of my gas space heater and used a jig I have made up which is a rim onto which I bolt my rim which has metal finger which guides the tyre under the rim as I turn the tyre by hand.
ROClarke

Postby coaster » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:29 am

ROClarke wrote:Fitted Dunlop tyre today on a FA Italia rim.
Basically stood the tyre in front of my gas space heater and used a jig I have made up which is a rim onto which I bolt my rim which has metal finger which guides the tyre under the rim as I turn the tyre by hand.

Photo needed please 8-)
coaster

Postby Thackers » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:56 am

coaster wrote:
ROClarke wrote:Fitted Dunlop tyre today on a FA Italia rim.

Photo needed please 8-)

+1
8-) 8-)
Thackers

Postby ROClarke » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:36 pm

Will do tomorrow
ROClarke

Postby ROClarke » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:04 pm

Tried to upload picture but fil is too large, how do I reduce it ?
ROClarke

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:46 pm

Recommend using a hosting site to upload photos such as:-
https://postimg.cc/files
Fast n Furious

Postby ROClarke » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:11 pm

Thanks Peter
ROClarke

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits