LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Clutch choice

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Clutch choice

Postby Micky Tapp » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:31 pm

Looking for an uprated clutch, must be light, not lever, but weight. Want simple, not silly number of plates, 5 or 6 so long as it fits under the chaincase side without alts. Thanks in advance
Micky Tapp

Re: Clutch choice

Postby gp200ts1 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:38 pm

What about the new af rayspeed python clutch?
gp200ts1

Postby Micky Tapp » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:59 pm

I’m trying to avoid the solutions suppliers have come up with where over complication followed by a massive price tag are applied. I’m going for simplicity, reduced weight and popular, so spares are easy to find. Personal option, but I think manufacturers are trying to have our pants down: rear disk brakes, VAPE ignitions, water cooled twins, I mean each to their own, but I’m following Colin Chapmans philosophy on this one ‘simplify and add lightness’
Micky Tapp

Postby dickie » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:16 pm

A few years ago, I drilled 5 x 20mm holes in a SIL 47tooth sprocket to make a cheap lightweight clutch. Then I remembered I had a "lightweight" one under the bench anyway. It looked much better than the SIL one but was actually heavier.

If you can be bothered, I think I probably still have the auto autocad file to use a template for drilling. I can PDF it if you want.
dickie

Postby Micky Tapp » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:19 pm

Thanks for offer and hats off for the engineering, but I don’t trust myself. My fave choice at the mo is the Red Devil, readspeed. Got an email off at the mo waiting answers on weight and suitability
Micky Tapp

Postby GP Kevo » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:19 pm

[edit] I forgot that I had already responded to this post[/edit]
Last edited by GP Kevo on Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
GP Kevo

Postby hullygully » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:13 pm

I've being using a Reedspeed 5 x red clutch plates in a machined out sprocket (for more plate movement) & a Foxhat spider in my TS1 245 for a few years now with good results 8-)
hullygully

Postby gaz_powell » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:54 pm

Just building a 5 plate using ;
Mec lightened 4/5 plate crown wheel
Readspeed 5 plate kit corks/metal/springs
5 plate bell and spider (indian)
Got a few thickness top plates
Total cost all new parts circa £160
gaz_powell

Postby GP Kevo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:47 am

I run an MB 6 plate clutch. It's simple, it works. It's maybe not for 40 - 50 hp engines, but it works in my tuned TS1 fine. I use three 1.5mm steels and two 1.2mm steels and regular MB springs. Simple and the rear sprocket runs on bearings. Comes with Li nipple and GP pad.
GP Kevo

Postby Nigel. S » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:43 am

Just to chuck this in the mix. I have a standard clutch, a thinner, maybe two thinner steels, can't remember how much thinner but anyway :roll: Medium springs.

Easy to use and just got thrashed from Lancs to Devon and back with some serious hills and generally tough ride in between. It worked fine, no overheating and grabbing despite the hill starts. RT195(200) so no monster.

Sorry it probably doesn't answer the add lightness thing. But I have to agree with keeping it simple.
Nigel. S

Postby Cgt75b » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:35 pm

If you want vfm it has to be Reedspeed 5 plate that sits in a standard basket. It really is excellent value for money.
Cgt75b

Postby hullygully » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:28 am

Cgt75b wrote:If you want vfm it has to be Reedspeed 5 plate that sits in a standard basket. It really is excellent value for money.

as above plus LTH clutch bell, lighter than the Indian ones, plus Foxhat spider 8-)
hullygully

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:17 pm

Owing to the fact that I had a surplus of CamLam friction & steel plates that were bought with racing in mind (nine plate clutches) a rebuilt road engine of a guesstimated 30+ BHP required a clutch with some potential. Utilising the two piece sprocket (easier to modify to accommodate greater friction plate space requirement) reassembled with high tensile fasteners & a genuine Innocenti centre, I was impressed with the result. Initially a SIL centre was tried & that could be seen deflecting.

To summarise, I was surprised that a competent six plate could be built within the limited confines provided within the crankcase that neither slipped or dragged. It's fair to say components must be first class & the build meticulous but the importance of the springs cannot be over-emphasised as they need to get nowhere near coil bound. As stated previously, I use ATF in the gearbox......
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Tuning & Kits