LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

BGM Stators

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

BGM Stators

Postby nsaints » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:23 pm

The new version 4.5 BGM stators with the silicon insulation I’ve never been a fan of. The insulation when cutting makes it difficult to get a clean cut with strands of insulation looking untidy, I’m left messing around trimming ends with scissors.

Yesterday I was speaking to an electronics engineer at work about these silicon insulated cables and he said, good for high heat conditions, very poor mechanical strength.

Having just removed one of these stators I was surprised the damage to the insulation under the cable clamp as the leads leave the stator. This is a low mileage engine, and I’m now concerned insulation failure and shorting on higher mileages. See damaged to the fat yellow cable picture below.

Anyone else found similar and have a solution?
I’m thinking a rewire

nsaints

Re: BGM Stators

Postby gp200ts1 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:47 pm

Always use scootronics stators now. Had 2 bgm stators melt all the lighting coils so avoid them like the plague now. Not the quality they used to be.
gp200ts1

Postby missing lynx » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:10 pm

As above. I've never had any luck with BGM part specially their stator that seem less reliable than SIL ones
missing lynx

Postby Toddy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:47 am

Only one issue for me failed LT never had any other issues with them when I’ve used them
Toddy

Postby nsaints » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:37 am

I have submitted a question to scooter centre support on this
I tried philipp @ scooter centre directly but his email now bounces as unknown

Reading the BGM stator leaflet two points
1: The black outer extends behind the stator in one picture in the manual. The means the clamp is onto the outer not directly onto the silicon inners as I had it
2: From the leaflet 'Be careful not to squeeze the cables anywhere'. Guess what my cable clamp was doing..

This issue maybe down to me :(
My only defense is, it wasn't so critical with more robust PVC insulated cables

I'll update this if/when scooter center respond to my question
Off to check my other engine with the same stator..
nsaints

Postby Covboy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:10 pm

Hi Andy
Could you slide some heat shrink over the exposed cables to make them a bit more robust?
Covboy

Postby martyn dwane » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:17 pm

the pick up screw on my mates came undone, less than 500 miles covered.ruined the stator and flyweel .
My AF original Ducati fitted in the mid 80`s still going strong.
Im fitting a BGM to my other Lambretta , i will be using locktite on the pick up screw for sure.
martyn dwane

Postby nsaints » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Appreciated

As an update I spoke with scooter centre where I’ve suggested improvements to their installation guide regarding the coloured outer making it clear that the outer is to be fitted so it’s immediately adjacent to the stator

I’ve refitted mine per the image. This time you can’t see any inners
I’ve also fitted a sturdier cable clamp as well, as the old one was flimsy and prone to bending

For the stator with the damaged outer I have chopped out the damaged cable and replaced with new cable
This will be my spare stator I’ll take to the euro.

nsaints

Return to Tuning & Kits