LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

GP engine case LI/TV side case.

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

GP engine case LI/TV side case.

Postby Psychedelicropcircle » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:07 pm

Been fixing a lads bike who tells me he bought a SIL 200 engine from AF. Only to find the end plate (GP) trimmed down to LI. And a side case that looks like LI TV due to it not having the brass bush for the clutch. The thing is the front sprocket has seriously eat into the side case. Can these two work in a proper manner?

1st gear worn to the extent the kickstart disengaged.
Psychedelicropcircle

Re: GP engine case LI/TV side case.

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:17 pm

Yes, all of these parts can be used together without issue, indeed, I dare say that many of us have a similar mix of part.

The common cause of the front sprocket assembly eating into the side casing is that the spline are not aligned correctly during initial assembly, which seems to have done up tightly when the bolt is done up, however, the assembly is not correct and undoes over time... and can quite literally bore its way out through the side casing!

Yes, these parts can be used together without issue.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 am

Agree..Front sprocket not all the way down on the splines properly. All parts are fully interchangeable without modification as long as clutch operating components are matched.
Wear on 1st gear is either due to gearbox not installed and torqued up correctly or most likely kickstart mechanism set up incorrectly.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Meds » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:46 am

can I make an LI side case fit a GP block by removing the kickstart ramp and replacing the clutch assembly?
Or are there other bits I need to sort out
Meds

Postby Scooterlam » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:47 am

CHRIS in MARGATE wrote:Agree..Front sprocket not all the way down on the splines properly. All parts are fully interchangeable without modification as long as clutch operating components are matched.
Wear on 1st gear is either due to gearbox not installed and torqued up correctly or most likely kickstart mechanism set up incorrectly.

In rare cases the front sprocket can be assembled correctly but if the spring is weak it will allow the assembly to spin over and this in turn will loosen the bolt.
New italin spring .
Scooterlam

Postby Psychedelicropcircle » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks for the info folks having worked on both types of engine this is the first time I've came across a "hybrid". This came in to have a new stator and the timing done...so far new head cowl, shocker & fuel tap, and only when I needed it started did I find the kickstart problem which lead to the sprocket problem....lambrettas don't you just love em :D
Psychedelicropcircle

Postby Eden » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Adam_Winstone wrote:
The common cause of the front sprocket assembly eating into the side casing is that the spline are not aligned correctly during initial assembly, which seems to have done up tightly when the bolt is done up, however, the assembly is not correct and undoes over time... and can quite literally bore its way out through the side casing!

Adam

20 odd years ago I had one bore its way all the way through the side case, it wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't happened on the way to work, work was a 22 mile ride and it happened 200 yards from work :(

very common but im sure it only happens to the same person once lol lesson learnt :)
Eden

Return to Tuning & Kits