LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

raising the exhaust port

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

raising the exhaust port

Postby johnnyjarvis » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Mate of mine is having his exhaust port on his std TS1 raised/ported.
What difference is this likely to make through the rev range ?
johnnyjarvis

Re: raising the exhaust port

Postby Adam_Winstone » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:22 pm

More power at higher revs and less power at low revs, often meaning that you have to fit a lower gear ratio (e.g. change from 4.8 to 5.5 :1) in order to reach the revs and power in 4th... and then stay in it under a reasonable range of conditions. That said, it is a case of the right balance of porting and set-up can really transform a motor, providing it suits the rider's riding style.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby johnnyjarvis » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Adam. As he is getting it done ive been weighing it up.
Run a std TS1, 20X47 with a close ratio box, taffspeed mk 4.
Pulls like a train in every gear and the power kicks in right where I want it.
Gonna leave mine as it is.
johnnyjarvis

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:39 am

Provided his exhaust and gearing allow him to use the additional power at higher revs then his bike will feel more powerful as he'll be able to hold it in the power and feel it go :)

The down side is that he will need to change up and down the box more frequently to keep in the narrower powerband. This will be most obvious when using it around town, on hilly/winding roads, and when trying to use it 2-up :(

There are pros and cons, with it very much being about riding style and use that will dictate whether it is a good move or not.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Return to Tuning & Kits