LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Ts1 gearing

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Ts1 gearing

Postby al pushpak » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:43 am

Hi, currently running Indian gp 200 gearing with 46x19 sprockets giving a 4.84 4th gear ratio, coupled with this is a 30mm dellorto carb & a bgm clubman ,this set-up runs great uphill ,against headwinds etc but im thinking of trying 47x20 to give me a 4.70 4th gear ratio . my question is I'm i best leaving as is or are other people running this set-up successfully with no drop's in performance? many thanks for any info ;) al
al pushpak

Re: Ts1 gearing

Postby jonashford » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:43 am

try it
jonashford

Postby coaster » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:11 am

My gut feeling is that you already have about as good as you are going to get. I was running mine with 17 x 46 on an Italian Li 150 box which I think is 4.6. Mine is optimized for touring and has a Franspeed Supertourer fitted but really struggled on that gearing. I rode it like that this year on a 1000 mile tour of Germany in company with a bog standard Vespa Rally 200 and really struggled to keep uo with him on hills :( I've since dropped the front sprocket to 16 which is 4.9 and it is totally transformed and is a pleasure to ride now.

The BGM bow is said to be torque so a 4.7 ration might work but the only way to find out is to try it 8-)
coaster

Postby Dazts1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:54 am

It can depend on a lot of things. Your weight , if you going to carry luggage etc. I've heard or of people say the bgm pipe does give good torque. Nelly on here has a jet 200 Dsc tuned with bgm , atomic reed valve. He has just gone to 20 tooth from 19 on the same gearing setup and it pulls like a train. I've had ago and I'm nearly 16 stone it pulled me no problem. In fact I was very surprised how well it went. With no struggling in top. All you can do as previously suggested is give it ago.
Dazts1

Postby Captain Pugwash » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:32 pm

It's usually a compromise between easier low down power (short gearing) OR a potential higher top speed (IF THE ENGINE CAN COPE) at the cost of performance lower down (tall gearing).

I always gear as high as I can get away with, but this can and in the past has caused excessive use of 3rd gear, that's if you settle for a fourth gear ratio that the engine just cannot reliably pull.

But as already said "try it" and see what it's like, it's what I'd do as It's only a couple of sprockets that'll need changing to put it back to right.

Good luck
Captain Pugwash

Postby Wack » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:48 pm

You could always try a larger diameter rear tyre first.
Wack

Return to Tuning & Kits