LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Starting problems Avanti

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Starting problems Avanti

Postby Blaginit » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi set timing 17 deg but magneto is all of the way in elongated holes fully to the r/h side it is an Avanti 225 and carb was jetted needled etc by Ron Moss so it should not be far of the mark but I've put a cable choke on and can't find out if choke just needs to lift of seat or does it have to travel right up the chamber to operate correctly please help it started once after about 20 kicks I've got good spark please help
Blaginit

Re: Starting problems Avanti

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:42 pm

Choke is normally best if the plunger only lifts up about half way as this ensures that you have enough cable play for it to seat fully when you turn it off, otherwise you can run into issues where the plunger doesn't seat fully and it makes it impossible to set jetting correctly.

What flywheel and stator are you using, if full rotation on elongated slots only gets you to 17 dbtdc? Is this a cheap Indian flywheel that might have the wrong centre boss in it (points poss rather than electronic boss)?

Normally, such starting issues on a new build are to do with a lack of fuel getting into the combustion chamber (a little squirt/dribble of fuel in through the spark plug hole can start it and help to identify the issue). Timing being a mile out, often the result of a sheared woodruff key, is another possibility.

Best of luck with it.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby MickYork » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:48 pm

need a bit more info'

What type of carb' ?
Open mouth or filter ?
Is it a new build or has it been running ?
New fuel or some that has been in the tank a while ?

the more information the better.

If it's a PHBH have you a 70 choke jet ? the choke doesn't have to lift by much, you can see it lift by looking in a small hole in the R/H side of the carb mouth (a torch makes it easier to see)
MickYork

Postby Blaginit » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi all its new build 30mm delorto bgm lightened flywheel 12volt ac with one 12volt dc connection I've had it running but it took 20 to 30 kicks and it did run well and re started its just to much for my old knees
Blaginit

Postby Blaginit » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi all its new build 30mm delorto bgm lightened flywheel 12volt ac with one 12volt dc connection I've had it running but it took 20 to 30 kicks and it did run well and re started its just to much for my old knees
Blaginit

Postby MickYork » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:17 pm

try starting with hand or cloth over the carb. if it starts easier you've either an air leak (too much air) or not enough fuel (choke not big enough/blocked jet/other)
MickYork

Postby Eden » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Don't presume just because you have what looks like a good spark on the plug when out of the engine that its sparking when its in the engine under compression!
Eden

Postby Blaginit » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:05 pm

MickYork wrote:need a bit more info'

What type of carb' ?
Open mouth or filter ?

If it's a PHBH have you a 70 choke jet ? the choke doesn't have to lift by much, you can see it lift by looking in a small hole in the R/H side of the carb mouth (a torch makes it easier to see)

just checked choke it is lifting but not clearing the hole just under half way do you think this could be the problem
Blaginit

Postby Eden » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Blaginit wrote:
MickYork wrote:need a bit more info'

What type of carb' ?
Open mouth or filter ?

just checked choke it is lifting but not clearing the hole just under half way do you think this could be the problem

no that's normal ;)
Eden

Postby coaster » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:23 am

One of the most basic mistakes when starting a Lambretta (or any engine really) is to twist the throttle as you kick it. You need to turn on the choke and petrol and keep the throttle closed during the kicking process. If it doesn't fire after a couple of kicks then it is probably an air leak. You can check the readings on your stator but personally I don't think it would be starting at all if it was a weak or intermittent spark.
coaster

Postby Raveydavey » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:03 am

Is fuel getting through?

Check the plug get wet after kicking it over a load of times. If it's dry there's your problem. If it's soaking, it' could be flooding. Try kicking it a couple of times with throttle fully open.
Raveydavey

Return to Tuning & Kits