LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

What kit

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

What kit

Postby Gary les » Sat May 14, 2016 8:12 am

Wright I've got a li 125 special was wondering what kit to put on her a good rally going hack with a bit of grunt do i go for gt ,Mugello or amola I no there's past topic but going through them all is a pain and then what set up exhaust carb sprocket gears crank please help chees
Gary les

Re: What kit

Postby Toddy » Sat May 14, 2016 8:22 am

I know but that's what these threads are for to look back on and people to give there opinion they will only type the same thins on this one if they have time one of a few below :D

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4248&p=34049&hilit=Small+block+kits#p34049
Toddy

Postby MickYork » Sat May 14, 2016 8:36 am

Obviously everyone has their favourites but I think the most popular ones are:

GT: Don't read many (if any ?) poor write ups, all owners seem very happy.
RT: Popular kit but have read (not many) of some issues.
Muggelo: Tried and tested but doesn't seem as popular as the GT.
Casa: Not designed for speed but seems solid and reliable.

The Imola is a bit of a "boy racer" kit and more suited to high rev's and short runs.......although can be set to tour it defeats the object of what it's designed for.

There are other kits on the market, such as the Gori, SR, etc, but the four I've listed have the most feedback and you'll probably get more information on them than other kits.

Take into consideration that the kit is only the start and will only perform in relation to other factors, Exhaust, carb, etc.

Most kits will need an uprated crank and a decent clutch as well as other upgrades.

The kit probably won't be as expensive as the other parts and a decent set up will be well over a £1000........and that's building it yourself.

All my own opinions and i'm sure there'll be others who have a different opinion.......that's why there's different kits :)
MickYork

Postby Gary les » Sat May 14, 2016 8:58 am

Cheers mick I no Eden a big gt fan and I no I've got upgrade every thing but read so many post one likes this and so on just want a good base to start with do I go 58mm or 60mm crank or 28/30 carb I've not got a clue
Gary les

Postby coaster » Sat May 14, 2016 10:37 am

MickYork wrote:Obviously everyone has their favourites but I think the most popular ones are:

GT: Don't read many (if any ?) poor write ups, all owners seem very happy.
RT: Popular kit but have read (not many) of some issues.
Muggelo: Tried and tested but doesn't seem as popular as the GT.
Casa: Not designed for speed but seems solid and reliable.

The Imola is a bit of a "boy racer" kit and more suited to high rev's and short runs.......although can be set to tour it defeats the object of what it's designed for.

There are other kits on the market, such as the Gori, SR, etc, but the four I've listed have the most feedback and you'll probably get more information on them than other kits.

Take into consideration that the kit is only the start and will only perform in relation to other factors, Exhaust, carb, etc.

Most kits will need an uprated crank and a decent clutch as well as other upgrades.

The kit probably won't be as expensive as the other parts and a decent set up will be well over a £1000........and that's building it yourself.

All my own opinions and i'm sure there'll be others who have a different opinion.......that's why there's different kits :)

I'd agree with all of that except the clutch, only the Imola would warrant going to 5 plates, all the others should be fine with no more than a properly set up standard clutch. A new chain and a change of front sprocket would be required though, the 125special gears are fine.

Exhaust depends on your preference, do want a standard look? if so you will need a box type exhaust (these won't suit an Imola) and can use anything from a 42mm Clubman (cheap), Ancilotti (more expensive and only marginally better) or BGM (the best but a LOT more expensive). If you prefer the look of the expansion exhausts then something like a JL3 is a good all rounder or the Franspeed Supertourer (both comparable price wise to a BGM plus a bit).

Carb wise depends on whether you want to retain the original filter hose and box? if so you are limited to a 25mm carb but if not then a 28mm will suit although a 30mm would also work. The most popular carb by a country mile is the Delortto PHBH range, everyone has spare needles, jets and atomisers and there is a huge amount of knowledge on set ups for just about every combination of kit/exhaust/carb available.
coaster

Postby Gary les » Sat May 14, 2016 11:12 am

Cheers coaster was think Mugello 198 don't no difference between 58/60 crank or 28/30 carb but jl3 pipe and don't no what size sprocket cheers
Gary les

Postby rossclark » Sat May 14, 2016 6:01 pm

With a 60mm crank you'll need a packer(about 1mm minimum) beneath the barrel because of the extra stroke. You'll gain about 3-5 cc by using a 60 mm crank too. If you're replacing the crank with one that has a GP taper you'll also need to add new bearings and seals and different flywheel, probably with electronic ignition.

Like anything else though if you make a change from the standard configuration you need to look at other things and measure the tolerances carefully.

The sprockets will need to achieve the gearing demanded by your choice of kit and exhaust.
rossclark

Postby Gary les » Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 am

After reading so much was going for Mugello now thinking gt is steel kit have any problems compared to a ally one
Gary les

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 am

With your self -confessed limited knowledge of what is involved I would go for the simplest set up otherwise you will end up buying mismatched parts that will give you a lot of grief. Getting it right is expensive, getting it wrong is even more expensive.
If you want a basic upgrade that will give you more power and the opportunity to tweak with other goodies such as carbs and exhausts later, then go for the Casa 185, a proven top end.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Eden » Thu May 19, 2016 10:29 am

Gary les wrote:Cheers mick I no Eden a big gt fan and I no I've got upgrade every thing but read so many post one likes this and so on just want a good base to start with do I go 58mm or 60mm crank or 28/30 carb I've not got a clue

It's all depends what you expect to be doing with your engine and how quickly you think you may get bored with performance and want to go quicker.

The GT186 has been around for well over 10 years and as such is more proven than any of the others available.
If you use a 60mm stroke with it your close to 200cc and it will perform quite a bit better than a standard 200 motor.
Being cast iron it also has a longer lifespan due to the ability to rebore and use the available oversized pistons when needed at a much lower cost that having ali relined.

Exhaust and carb etc again depend on what you intend to do with the engine and how you like to ride.

I've built/tuned gt200 barrelled motors that vary massively due to the customers requirements. The kits are very versatile and once run in are quite bullet proof.

One I did which uses a bgm box pipe and is tuned for long plodding got on the road 3 days before the 8 ball rally two weeks ago and with no more than 30 miles covered before setting off made it the 170+ miles with his Mrs on the back and camping gear strapped to it with no problems..... well he had a problem when he got there and I saw how he was running it in the tit. :lol:
Eden

Postby Gary les » Thu May 19, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi Eden so you build engines up if so could I speak to you cheers Gary
Gary les

Postby Eden » Thu May 19, 2016 7:39 pm

pm sent :)
Eden

Return to Tuning & Kits