LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

MYSTERY TS1 REED BLOCK ID REQUIRED

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

MYSTERY TS1 REED BLOCK ID REQUIRED

Postby ladsdad » Wed May 25, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi all
Can anybody help me identify this reed block I've taken out of a TS1 barrel?
The smaller of the two in the photos is from a Yamaha RD350YPVS that hasn't been modified to fit, I thought that the second (larger) block might be from a Yamaha Banshee(?) but despite looking on the internet I can't be sure!
Any help appreciated.
Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ladsdad

Re: MYSTERY TS1 REED BLOCK ID REQUIRED

Postby gaz_powell » Thu May 26, 2016 4:51 pm

It just looks like the older standard type supplied with the kit to me.
The newer ones supplied with the kit don't have the reed stops just a retaining plate
gaz_powell

Postby Wack » Thu May 26, 2016 5:35 pm

I agree
Wack

Postby ladsdad » Thu May 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi
Thanks for the replies & message's.. Everyone is in agreement that the reed block is an old standard type block. Just goes to show that even with kitted engines people like to tinker about & change stuff.
I do have another question though, the standard reed block is larger than the Yamaha reedblock that is used as an upgrade... why??? Surely it's all about flow through the inlet, why would'nt you just use the standard part & maybe just fit a spacer block so that it does'nt restrict flow. Anyone got any thoughts?
ladsdad

Postby rossclark » Thu May 26, 2016 9:26 pm

I think I remember reading somewhere that bigger is not always better with reed valves.
rossclark

Postby dickie » Thu May 26, 2016 9:48 pm

rossclark wrote:I think I remember reading somewhere that bigger is not always better with reed valves.

Darryl Taylor told me in a thread somewhere that my rd350 reed on a ts1 was bigger than ideal and that an imola one would be better. I think this was particularly because I'm using a 30mm carb.

Other alternatives are a stuffer (quite cheap from somewhere in Germany) or boyesen reeds.

I guess it's due to gas velocity being too low in a big reed if you have a smaller carb.
dickie

Postby gaz_powell » Fri May 27, 2016 10:34 am

I`ve used the standard and yam block and saw no difference with a 34 VHSB. Currently I run standard blocks with the vetronite reeds and the stops in two bikes with VHSB.

That's interesting about imola block on a TS1 with smaller carb - I have a steel lined 200cc TS1 running a 30mm PHBH on a standard block so would be interested to try a smaller Imola one to see if any difference.

Dickie are you using an Imola block ? The one I can see on CamLam site look like they may not fit but it does states its for early versions of the kit.

Gaz
gaz_powell

Postby dickie » Fri May 27, 2016 12:21 pm

gaz_powell wrote:
Dickie are you using an Imola block ? The one I can see on CamLam site look like they may not fit but it does states its for early versions of the kit.

Gaz

Gaz,

I've used a BGM RD350 one, but with a MB 30mm manifold which has stuffers built into it thereby reducing the cross sectional area of the inlet tract up to the reeds. I've used boyesen reeds to help with low RPM response.

I probably would have used the Imola block but didn't get Darryl Taylor's advice until after I'd spent money on the reed block and couldn't stomach spending twice.

You of course want to know how it performs, but I have no idea as this is just a tinker project which I don't expect to finish until next year! Sorry.

LTH do stuffers for around 30euros if you're interested.
dickie

Postby holty » Fri May 27, 2016 10:03 pm

i can tell you exactly what those 2 reedblocks are, the smaller one is off a yamaha 250lc or 350lc non powervalve. the second one is the wider type and these were fitted to the powervalve versions and the banshee as mentioned earlier, i know this as ive got a 350lc engine in my lammy and i opened up the inlets to take the larger reedblock, i used blocks and carb rubbers from a bansee.
holty

Return to Tuning & Kits