LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

burning oil in pipe ?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

burning oil in pipe ?

Postby bazza3004 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Running a ts230 and put about 300 mile on it since top end was rebuilt. I have ragged it now and again but went on a ride out today which was mostly plodding along. On my way home i give it some beans for a while and noticed when i stopped at traffic lights it was abit smokey (not billowing white smoke) . I run decent silkolene 2 stroke oil and wonder if with the pipe getting hot if i could be just burning the 2 t oil in the pipe/end can .? I run at 30mil per ltr.
Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
bazza3004

Re: burning oil in pipe ?

Postby gaz_powell » Sun May 29, 2016 9:09 pm

I've just posted on an oil ratio thread and I noted that my two TS1 engines (nicosil) are smokey at idle/low revs using exol semi synthetic. On had a stainless exhaust and I had a mild steel one - both SSC taffspeed copies. It clears once ridden. Both have done decent mileage no issues.
My bikes with iron barrels don't smoke as much again no issues with these motors
3% on them all.
gaz_powell

Postby bazza3004 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:23 pm

Cheers gaz. Just hoping that with quite a lot of low rpm town running last few weeks it was just 2t oil burning in pipe when it got hot after giving it some jip for a while.
bazza3004

Postby coaster » Mon May 30, 2016 7:40 am

Do you have an air filter fitted? most likely fuel/oil collecting in filter and adding to the mix at idle. If your exhaust is getting hot enough to ignite oil I would be glowing red hot :?
coaster

Postby gaz_powell » Mon May 30, 2016 9:29 am

Mine are definitely more smokey at idle on the exol than when I was using putoline TT sport.
I was concerned at first but not know after 4 plus years using it in all bikes.

I'm fine with it, not sure about the people behind me at the lights!!!!
gaz_powell

Postby bazza3004 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:35 am

Hi no im running a 30phbh without filter (this is about to change to a 35 mikuni with rubber elbow and filter) and the pipe is a darrell taylor tsr with after market end can. The scoot has always been a little smokey but not blown seal kinda smokey. Just fired it up again this morning and it started 1st kick as usual and seemed about normal exhaust wise. I put my hand over tail pipe (not sure if this is a good idea or not) and the engine stopped in 3 or 4 seconds. I have noticed i always have a small collection of red 2t oil in the casting crease of the bell mouth. Is 30mil per ltr too much or about right with the better oils of today. The scoot was set up at darrells earlier in year but have noticed now i have a flat spot/stutter at around 1/3 throttle which clears ok if i work round it. As i say im about to fit the tmx and filter plus an agusto so not really worried about this atm.
bazza3004

Postby coaster » Mon May 30, 2016 5:10 pm

I have always run on a 3% mix as well withy an Avanti and a TS1. They both tend to smoke a bit when started from cold but that soon clears after the choke is off and the engines warm up. Is it possible your idle circuit is set a little on the rich side?
coaster

Postby bazza3004 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:06 pm

Yeh it could richer through out as it was set up a about feb an its warmer now. Just seemed to be worse after giving it a quick blast on way back from sunday rideout. I check oil level today and seemed same as before sunday ride. I also pulled spark plug out and whilst a little wet it didnt show any sign of oiling up. Im now in the process of fitting a 35 tmx and an agusto so il see how things are after this. Oh there is no sign of it reving high or revs not dropping off straight away .
bazza3004

Postby coaster » Mon May 30, 2016 11:19 pm

What grade of plug are you using? might be worth trying a hotter grade?
coaster

Postby bazza3004 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:53 am

Using a b8es plug
bazza3004

Postby speedy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:51 pm

Two lads in our club run super monzas and use silkolene pro2 at 3 percent. These are very smokey at lights and low running. Apparently that is just the nature of that oil, so they have been told.
speedy

Return to Tuning & Kits