LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

KyTronik Advance/retard unit

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

KyTronik Advance/retard unit

Postby foremanbob » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Scooter chucked it on route to filling up with fuel on way to Kelso...

Turned out to be the KyTronik box that's chucked it. Was a complete PITA to have to remove it, reset the stator plate back to 17deg and get it all back together again.

Anyone else had a similar issue? In two minds whether to replace it for £78.76, or whether just to run the standard fixed timing with less risk of things to fail...

Thank the lord it happened at the weekend than at the end of the month on route to Geiselwind.....

Thoughts?
foremanbob

Re: KyTronik Advance/retard unit

Postby Wack » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:01 pm

I've got 2 of them and been ok so far. What were the symptoms ?
Wack

Postby Donnie » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:30 am

have to admit i bought a mtech about 2 years ago but since going to the gt186 away from the mugello 186 ive disconnected it and set the stator at 16 degrees if memory serves and left it there. No problems and one less thing to worry about.
Donnie

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:13 pm

I've 3 of these units and I really like them. However, on way back from Whitby rally my engine seized on the last 3 miles of a 100 mile journey. Prior to it seizing, we stopped for a 30 min coffee break to say our goodbyes. 3 miles later, at cruising speed the engine seized solid. You could smell and hear the heat crackling away.

I stood at the side of the bypass, a mile from home trying to look cool, as if that's what i did every Saturday afternoon. But as I stood there, just about every non scootering friend passed by, laughing and sounded their horn. As I contempleted my situation, my initial thoughts were an air leak or did the KyTronik unit fail and meant that i was running on 26 degrees static timing, rather than variable. It may well be an air leak, as I will test again before dismantling, but I had done an air leak test 400 miles before I left for Whitby. So far I've dumped the lambretta in my garage and temporarily fallen out with it.

Once I get round to looking at this engine, I will post feedback, but it would be useful to see what symptoms you had to know that the KyTronik unit had failed, because I have one of these units on the one that I'm taking to the Euro, so don't want any mishaps.

PS, filled up with petrol 60 miles away, so it can't be faulty fuel.
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby foremanbob » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:07 pm

The symptoms were that the scooter died... almost as if it was running out of fuel (reached for the reserve tap), followed by a few more back fires and then a complete halt. Kicked back into life again... but then did the same thing... then just totally dead ; had to push the scooter home the last two miles...

Prior to that I'd felt a few stutters with the scooter, almost as if you were on the verge of reserve, but cleared up again.

Interestingly after I took out the KyTronik the exhaust note sounded an awful lot more "crisp", before it sounded more "dull".
foremanbob

Postby peter357bikes » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:57 pm

I've run 3 of these with no problems. But I thought if they fail the scoot died ...but you could set it to '0' and run carefully at whatever your timing setting...But I must admit a total failure of the unit is more than possible leaving an oblivious rider. Is it the light in the fridge syndrome..panel off every time to see its working or not?
peter357bikes

Postby foremanbob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:58 am

peter357bikes wrote:I've run 3 of these with no problems. But I thought if they fail the scoot died ...but you could set it to '0' and run carefully at whatever your timing setting...But I must admit a total failure of the unit is more than possible leaving an oblivious rider. Is it the light in the fridge syndrome..panel off every time to see its working or not?

Being of an electronic engineering background, it could be possible that they fail in a running position...
foremanbob

Postby hullygully » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:16 pm

I changed my rear wheel the other day & the KY-Tronik failed on me taking out the CDi!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :? lucky I was in the garage........... :roll:
hullygully

Return to Tuning & Kits