LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Will carb function at this angle?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Will carb function at this angle?

Postby Stevepshipley » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Swapped a tired jetex for a 26mm delorto on my 186 mugello. I'm sure it sat better on the scooter I took it off although it had no toolbox. I need this toolbox, is there a better manifold for early mugello ?

Stevepshipley

Re: Will carb function at this angle?

Postby terryj » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:33 pm

i have a 28mm on my mugello and the carb sits almost upright think i got a manifold off cam lam to suit the mugello kit but had it that long cant be 100%
will have a look at it later think it is marked up muggelo
terryj

Postby MickYork » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:16 pm

The scooter will run, but at high rev's you may empty the bowl too quickly and risk holing the piston. Not worth the risk unless you're just pottering around town.

Would an off-set 90" adapter on the choke help ?
MickYork

Postby terryj » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:12 pm

MickYork wrote:The scooter will run, but at high rev's you may empty the bowl too quickly and risk holing the piston. Not worth the risk unless you're just pottering around town.

Would an off-set 90" adapter on the choke help ?

that may be why mine sits upright the 90 deg brass choke junction and it may be the pic but is your fuel line kinked
terryj

Postby petemaisey » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:23 pm

Fit a steel tool box, they have the cutaway to suit. Save your plastic box for when you want to return to standard and factory spec. (You will one day, oh no I wont).
In the days of plenty, Royspeed used to melt the box with a blow lamp and then form the cutaway by pushing it in with a gloved thumb.

Pete
petemaisey

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:01 am

Dell’Orto makes several different angle tubular bends (Mike Oldfield?) that you can use on the choke besides relying on the brass Lambretta sort. I’ve had to use one on my VHB sitting on a ‘short as possible’ manifold.

In answer to your question though, that angle looks too extreme in that plane. Apparently, FYI, downdraft can be up to 45°
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby grandpa » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:06 am

Hi Stevepshipely
You could drill a hole in the side and out the bottom of tool box for the choke cable to run inside or would that be sacrilege?
Grandpa
grandpa

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:48 am

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/1723/carb-throttle-cable-adaptor-elbow-malossi

In the words of that great singer, Kodak:

"If a picture paints a thousand worms" :P

Have a look around & you won't need to butcher your toolbox.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby citydaz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:44 pm

I bought a manifold from MB Developments and a rubber hose to suit, which gave a bit more clearance.

Also get an elbowed choke
citydaz

Postby Granty » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:50 pm

I had a bit of a nightmare recently with a Muggello inlet with the angle etc. Swapped it for an AF one and the carb sits at a much better angle & clearance
Granty

Postby Stevepshipley » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks for the input, I'm fairly certain the main problem is with the manifold. I think I fitted one of the originals which I seem to remember were problematic. I've since found an AF manifold and a more recent mugello manifold. Plan is to try one of these together with a 90 degree cable adaptor when I get time.

Thanks much appreciated

Steve
Stevepshipley

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:06 pm

by Stevepshipley » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:26 am
Thanks for the input, I'm fairly certain the main problem is with the manifold. I think I fitted one of the originals which I seem to remember were problematic. I've since found an AF manifold and a more recent mugello manifold. Plan is to try one of these together with a 90 degree cable adaptor when I get time.

Thanks much appreciated

Steve

I don’t want to appear to be ‘ramming my advice down your throat’ :) but I honestly think that with the choke cable re-routed via a Dell’Orto bend, you won’t need an alternative manifold. There is an image attached here showing one or two that may fit, helpfully with dimensions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Stevepshipley » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Top man!!

Cheers, appreciate that 8-)
Stevepshipley

Postby peejay » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:13 am

your carb filter banjo deffo needs to point downwards!
peejay

Return to Tuning & Kits