LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Avanti and breathsweet air filter

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Avanti and breathsweet air filter

Postby Blaginit » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi guys had my Avanti dynoed and want to fit a breath sweet will it affect jetting or can I just fit it please advise
Blaginit

Re: Avanti and breathsweet air filter

Postby MickYork » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:08 pm

I had mine dyno'd with and without a Breathsweet filter........there was about 1/3 hp difference.........not worth changing the jetting imo.
MickYork

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Shouldn't make much difference. If anything it should be a little richer, which is safer than going the other way :)
Adam_Winstone

Postby Sticky » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:56 pm

Yes it does make a difference, but opposite to what you might expect - on our dyno a Breathsweet makes a scooter leaner and (more powerful) than without, particularly on part-throttle and closed throttle over-rev. Charlie Edmonds found the same thing.

Best advice it to make sure you check plug colour.

Postby coaster » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:28 pm

Sticky wrote:Yes it does make a difference, but opposite to what you might expect - on our dyno a Breathsweet makes a scooter leaner and (more powerful) than without, particularly on part-throttle and closed throttle over-rev. Charlie Edmonds found the same thing.

Best advice it to make sure you check plug colour.

I read somewhere recently that this was thought to be due to the breathsweet elbow promoting better air flow....that would depend on it not being squashed when the panel is fitted though I would imagine.
coaster

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:59 pm

Yes, this was quoted recently and mentioned it being the improved flow speed because of the hose, not the filter, but that the overall combination was still an improvement. Was this in the basic stage by stage tuning feature in Scootering, stated to inform as to why the standard carb needed to be upjetted considerablly with the Breathe Sweet filter and hose in place of an air box and standard hose?

As I say, IMO it will not make much difference to jetting... either way... and if it does then you didn't have enough of a safety margin anyway :lol:

Adam

Edit: The last time I had a bike dynoed by Jerome at Readspeed, he too was talking to me about the benefits to be had from controlled inlet pathways and saying that it can have a big influence on how well a machine breathes.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Strummer10 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:31 pm

I'm very impressed with the breathe sweet on my Avanti, the bog standard 225 kit it got a commendable 19.80 BHP at JB Tuning, although the rubber elbow is slightly squashed on the panel so IF I can resolve this it might be better (not sure ?). I know a lot of people run open mouthed but I always worry about what might 'get into' the cylinder (probably unnecessarily).

Having just built a mate's Mugello and using the harder/thicker rubber hose connection (mine is the softer rubber so it pushes the carb outwards by 5 + mms) the carb butts up to the inlet manifold (rather then being divided by a small void of rubber) so I reckon on using the harder hose I could gain the 5 mms + back. Also looking at a shorter inlet manifold or even machining my one down to get the clearance for the elbow turn.
Strummer10

Return to Tuning & Kits