LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Which is the fastest fast-flow ?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Which is the fastest fast-flow ?

Postby gaz_powell » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:09 pm

I have used the OMG FF on all my TS1s with no fuel flow issues ever, I bought a Scootopia one to have in as spare so haven't used it yet.
On reading the words from scootopia I just think it's badly written, I would not believe that a tap quoted as "super fast flow" tap would reduce on reserve. I thought it was a fast flow tap with a standard look and a shorter than OMG inlet pipe making reserve less than OMG.

They sell on ebay and state.....

Scootopia super fast flow fuel tap

this is our own production fuel tap, as you can see from the photo the internal holes are much larger to allow a fast rate of fuel compared to the OMG taps.  Also there is no need for rear exit as the tap has been designed correctly
gaz_powell

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Well I timed the fitted old OMG tap & 500ml took - 3min 30 ?

& then took it out & f@@k me? Minging

Fitted the new Scootopia one & 500ml in - 1min 14

Now that's more like it ;-)
Norrie Bodge

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:25 pm

Here's the comparison in both taps

Norrie Bodge

Postby dscscotty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:29 pm

should flow around a pint a minute
dscscotty

Postby Dazts1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:25 am

I always drill out whatever tap I use , also I always run in reserve even with the group 4. But all my road bikes are ran in reserve.
Dazts1

Postby Norrie Bodge » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:54 am

Dazts1 wrote:I always drill out whatever tap I use , also I always run in reserve even with the group 4. But all my road bikes are ran in reserve.

What size drill bit you use Daz? Don't wanna go drilling & weaken it all m8
Norrie Bodge

Postby corrado » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:56 am

Looking at the 2 holes in the Scootopia tap I'd say there's no room to drill either hole bigger unless you just want one big hole.

OMG do standard taps and fast flow taps, I'd say that the OMG tap shown is only a standard one looking at the holes.

Flushing the tank through and cleaning the tap should be on the list of general maintenance. Test fuel flow as it stands and then slosh the fuel about for a minute, drain it off, pour the clean fuel back in the tank, repeat the sloshing and drain fuel again, remove the tap and give it a thorough cleaning, put tap back and run fuel through it again, if it coming out nice and clean retest the fuel flow. A routine 30 minute job may save you a holed piston somewhere down the line.
corrado

Postby johnnyXS » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:28 am

somewhere there is a thread about cutting down the height of the reserve tube of the petcock so that the reserve supply is smaller and cuts in later .
When you consider how crude the reserve system is it really is worth experimenting with it as very quite risky to have you fuel supply suddenly cut out on you at sustained high speed runs.

The other thing that rarely gets mentioned is that the majority of piston seizing occurs not at full or part throttle but at zero throttle on deacceleration after high speed runs when the engine is hot.

It makes sense to use this very simple and effective technique to avoid seizures completely .

Don't close your throttle or use engine braking when slowing from full throttle, high speeds ! The engine will still be turning over at 5000+rpm driven by the rear wheels but you are only supplying the engine with the fuel from the idle circuit pilot jet ! This is insufficient fuel to cool the engine and the engine temperature will rise very rapidly resulting in a partial or total piston seize.

The technique that keeps you safe is to pull the clutch to disengage drive from the rear wheel and use the brakes to slow down whilst occasionally blipping the throttle to maintain sufficient fuel to the hot engine. This is cruicially important when running in a new or rebuilt engine.

A simple test that gives a good indication whether an engine is running lean at any given rpm is to to hold the throttle steady at any given speed and see if your speed stays steady and stable or if the speed constantly surges and dies which indicates a lean mixture at that particular throttle band
johnnyXS

Postby HxPaul » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:59 am

If you run a fast flow tap,its safest to remove the normal flow straw and run the scooter on standard flow ie.not reserve.or re-work the tap so that it runs both reserve and normal flow in the reserve position.
HxPaul

Postby johnnyXS » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:37 am

yes I agree paul .....although if the reserve tube is cut quite short at least you'd get a further 10 miles or so on reserve to get a fillup. This would be great for those like me that forget to check their tanks regularly :lol:
I cannot imagine anyone runs around now without having a small can of emergency fuel with them surely. ?

If I used my scoot a lot I think I'd fit a small extra tank into half of my tool box like the Spanish fitted a air tank into their tool boxes or even convert a Spanish toolbox maybe :D
johnnyXS

Postby Dimitrios_231 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:01 pm

I have modified standard fuel taps,enlarging the holes (all) increases the flow rate.

Differences between OMG fast flow and OMG standard tap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dimitrios_231

Postby coaster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:26 pm

johnnyXS wrote:........................The other thing that rarely gets mentioned is that the majority of piston seizing occurs not at full or part throttle but at zero throttle on deacceleration after high speed runs when the engine is hot.

The engine will still be turning over at 5000+rpm driven by the rear wheels but you are only supplying the engine with the fuel from the idle circuit pilot jet ! This is insufficient fuel to cool the engine and the engine temperature will rise very rapidly resulting in a partial or total piston seize.

Playing devils advocate to some extent and also questioning if the MAJORITY of seizure occur when shutting the throttle. When you shut the throttle, your engine will be 'off load' which will have a positive effect on the heat produced and also, the intensity of the ignition burn will be lowered which should also produce less heat?? granted there will be some residual heat soak....happy to have that theory pulled apart ;)

Personally, I usually don't snap the throttle shut anyway, I usually like to get it to 4 stroke by coming off the throttle slightly which helps to cool it, I do that frequently when running at any reasonably fast pace as well.
coaster

Postby Marty ULC » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:23 pm

I like using the reserve as a reserve.
Seeing as I'd likely run dry without it I'd be no less likely to heat seize due to starvation anyway but much more likely to run out the juice in the arse end of nowhere. (Again)
Marty ULC

Previous

Return to Tuning & Kits