LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Which is the fastest fast-flow ?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Which is the fastest fast-flow ?

Postby Norrie Bodge » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:20 pm

Lads
After having a heat-seize on way home from cleethorpes
on me GP with cast barrel 200 reed valve tuned top end by Mick Abbey, doin about 65.., coulda been dodgy fuel likes???
I'm gonna increase my float valve from 250 < 300 & also the petrol tap !

But which petrol tap is the best to use? The OMG one I have fitted has been on years so needs replacing? But which do I go for off the shelf? Giving the best flow-rate ?
Also heard ov guys drilling them to increase flow more ??

Cheers for any replies ;-)
Norrie Bodge

Re: Which is the fastest fast-flow ?

Postby daniel whiteley » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:44 am

check the scootopia one it has a bigger hole than the omg tap
daniel whiteley

Postby dscscotty » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:54 pm

+1
dscscotty

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Take your fast flow tap apart and see for yourself. The aperture for reserve is smaller and therefor flows less fuel. It's a good idea to back off once you're on reserve, but I guess a lot of people don't, and it's hardly surprising people blow their engines up.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Norrie Bodge » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Great replies lads...
I use the scootopia one on my S2, does that have the same sized aperture in the reserve position ?
Norrie Bodge

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:43 pm

I dont think many people go on reserve,but there are a lot of people who run there scooters on reserve all the time in the mistaken veiw that the tap runs both the normal feed and the reserve feed in that position.
HxPaul

Postby Norrie Bodge » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:11 pm

HxPaul wrote:I dont think many people go on reserve,but there are a lot of people who run there scooters on reserve all the time in the mistaken veiw that the tap runs both the normal feed and the reserve feed in that position.

Well m8 that's me guilty as charged !!
As been running me GP always on reserve since I got it back on the road last Easter?
It heat-seized at 60 after York rally last year in a similar place funny enough on the A19 ?? :?:

Lesson now learnt & glad it's still ok or I'd AV been TS-ing it? ££££
Norrie Bodge

Postby daniel whiteley » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:04 pm

http://www.scootopia.co.uk/product/7373 ... petrol-tap

says the reserve runs at the same speed as normal rate
daniel whiteley

Postby Toot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:52 pm

HxPaul wrote:I dont think many people go on reserve,but there are a lot of people who run there scooters on reserve all the time in the mistaken veiw that the tap runs both the normal feed and the reserve feed in that position.

Really??

I've always run with the tap on reserve to avoid a potential heat seize if I went onto reserve fuel in the tank.

Surely the flow rate at 'normal' or 'reserve' is the same???
Toot

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Some fast flow taps have a smaller outlet on reserve than on normal.
HxPaul

Postby Toot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:11 pm

HxPaul wrote:Some fast flow taps have a smaller outlet on reserve than on normal.

I have no reason to doubt you but where did you get told this, or read this? It would seem odd to restrict the flow between normal and reserve as this could potentially cause a scoot to heat seize?
Toot

Postby Covboy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:56 pm

I noticed such a difference just last week when draining 12 litres from my tank.
I presume that the slower flow rate on reserve is caused by not having the weight / pressure of a full tank of fuel
Covboy

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:07 pm

Toot wrote:
HxPaul wrote:Some fast flow taps have a smaller outlet on reserve than on normal.

I have no reason to doubt you but where did you get told this, or read this? It would seem odd to restrict the flow between normal and reserve as this could potentially cause a scoot to heat seize?

You just need to read the Scootopia information,but I have seen the difference for my self.
HxPaul

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:28 pm

HxPaul wrote:
Toot wrote:

You just need to read the Scootopia information,but I have seen the difference for my self.

It is possible to re-work the insides of a fast flow tap to make it flow from the normal outlet and the reserve outlet at the same time by turning the tap to the reserve possition.
http://scooterotica.co/forum/viewtopic. ... 6b#p272386 read shockys post.
HxPaul

Postby corrado » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:48 am

The scootopia tap scores better on a couple of other issues, 1 being that it sits about 1mm higher [towards the tank] than the OMG thus giving more crucial clearance around the engine mount and 2 the part where the turning arm goes into the main body is metal as opposed to plastic on the OMG. I've had a plastic one snap off. Despite what I've said I'm using an OMG one because it's a rear facing one and there isn't a rear facing version of the scootopia.
Flow wise I've tested both [with and without a decent quality inline filter fitted] and found the flow to be roughly the same, all versions giving over one pint per minute.
corrado

Postby Toot » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:24 am

HxPaul wrote:
Toot wrote:

Thanks for the link

I personally would have reservations on having a 'fast flow' tap on a tuned motor that restricted the flow when changing from 'normal' to 'reserve'. Surely the reason for the 'fast flow' in the first place was to ensure enough fuel it getting through to the motor?

Or should we not ride our Lambretta's as we usually do once we go onto reserve?

A very strange decision to manufacture a fast flow tap in this way?
Toot

Postby HxPaul » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks for the link

I personally would have reservations on having a 'fast flow' tap on a tuned motor that restricted the flow when changing from 'normal' to 'reserve'. Surely the reason for the 'fast flow' in the first place was to ensure enough fuel it getting through to the motor?

Or should we not ride our Lambretta's as we usually do once we go onto reserve?

A very strange decision to manufacture a fast flow tap in this way?[/quote]

Very strange indeed,but like anything that is made for a Lambretta not entirely surprising.We already know that a lot of "stuff" is counterfeit,maybe the taps are another example.I think that the message here is,stick to something that is working as it is intended and has good reports.More than anything,always check that the part does what it is supposed to before using it.
HxPaul

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Actually, I've got to apologise and eat my words. I've got a couple of spare fast flow taps knocking around and I've just taken them to pieces. On both the aperture is the same for normal running as it is for reserve. I must have had a suspect one at some point. Either that or I'm hallucinating. Anyway, carry on.... :D
ToBoldlyGo

Postby corrado » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:36 pm

Just thinking aloud but with tap in the normal position the petrol has to go through the plastic tube [restricting the flow???] but when switched to reserve the petrol goes directly through the secondary hole in the tap, possibly explaining why some people say it flows better on reserve. Or am I thinking too hard? :P
corrado

Postby Norrie Bodge » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:08 pm

Getting very interesting now lads !!!

I've ordered up a Scootopia one, thinks ill open them both up & compare the difference ?
& I'll post up some piccys...
Norrie Bodge

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits