LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Petcock?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Petcock?

Postby Vmakgp » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:23 am

Yep apparently that's the name of the weld in Bung that the petrol tap screws onto , & I'm trying to sors one in Stainless steel but haven't had much luck , as far as I'm aware it's metric 16 MM with a fine 1mm thread ?
I've just got a nice stainless neck with a nice nurled cap but can't find a weld in Bung anyone no were I may get one ?
Been on eBay but no joy . :?
Vmakgp

Re: Petcock?

Postby johnnyXS » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:44 am

it might save you a lot of time and grief if you just buy a cheap /damaged petrol tank and remove the threaded bush from that and braze it into your tank.
Is there a reason why you prefer to retain your tank and not swop it complete ?
johnnyXS

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:41 pm

Petcock is the name American motorcyclists use for "fuel tap"
HxPaul

Postby Vmakgp » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:34 pm

If you look on eBay you will see the weld in Bung I'm after is sold by the chopper shops as a petcock , but it's 22 MM . ,I'm fabricating a tank Johnny sx , but may have to get a 16 MM x1mm threaded bolt and drill out the centre , going to phone a couple of shops that sell stainless tanks see if they can supply replacements . :)
Vmakgp

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:33 pm

Vmakgp wrote:If you look on eBay you will see the weld in Bung I'm after is sold by the chopper shops as a petcock , but it's 22 MM . ,I'm fabricating a tank Johnny sx , but may have to get a 16 MM x1mm threaded bolt and drill out the centre , going to phone a couple of shops that sell stainless tanks see if they can supply replacements . :)

These bungs are used so that you can change the position of your petcock (fuel tap)You drill the required size of hole and weld on the bung,then you just screw on the petcock.The original hole can be blanked off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-Weld-In- ... SwPYZU7oxU
HxPaul

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:00 pm

You would need to check pitch (as I can’t be arsed!) but you do need fine. There is more than one ‘fine’ M16 pitch, not just 1.5...

However, if you’re right, this should do you.

I’ve made my own concerns about grades of ‘stainless’ known on this Forum & some readers actually agree(!) so I would say: "bear that in mind"

Obvious to anybody with half a brain is that you need to drill through to suit......

Anyway, here you go:

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/M16-x-1-50-x-12mm-Pipe-Plug-DIN-908-A4_AICFQ.aspx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:09 pm

Oops!

I meant to add that before I’m lynched for suggesting that you can drill stainless A2, of course you can as long as you take your time & don’t overheat/work-harden by going mad @ it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Vmakgp » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:02 pm

Shame it's the wrong thread for a Lambretta tap it needs to be a 1mm pitch gave the guy a call warkton but couldn't help trying to get a bolt in 16mm with a 1mm pitch is proving difficult ! :roll:
Vmakgp

Postby MickYork » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:18 pm

MickYork

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Why not use an easy to get threaded bung and any motorcycle fuel tap that fits the thread ie - harley/honda / suzuki -etc.
HxPaul

Postby Vmakgp » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:51 pm

I've got a new fast flow here & there could be issues with room for a tap of a bike but it's another avenue to check out , anyone got a buggered old stainless tank going at the rite price ? :shock:
Vmakgp

Postby Vmakgp » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:59 pm

MickYork wrote:what about a 16mm/1mm die ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-16-x-1-0 ... SwNSxVL0~3

Looked at that mick but then it's a length of stainless bar only comes in three metre lengths from my supplier , I'm going to take a look at bike fuel taps see what thread & diameter Bung they take as the link warkton ' put up have bungs with 1.5 pitch threads & at the rite money . :D
Vmakgp

Postby Wack » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Why does it have to be stainless as a steel one is hardly seen? I found a Italian m/c tap that was exactly the same as a Lambretta one but with a small lever on EBay a few years ago, may have been for a Guzzi.
Wack

Return to Tuning & Kits