LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

hole in barrel

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

hole in barrel

Postby ian i.o.w » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi all bought a barrel from a reputable dealer there is a small hole on the carb manifold side inside barrel I phoned dealer and he new straight away what I was on about and explained it was bored out to make 225 that I wanted and small hole would not be a problem as stud\bolt would be in there I am a bit worried this is not good as possible another place for air leak and I did pay over 300 pound what do people think thanks Ian
ian i.o.w

Re: hole in barrel

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:16 am

What did you acquire for your £300?

It can’t have been just for a cast iron barrel that has been bored to Ø70 mm, surely?

For that kind of money, I’m guessing that a piston kit would be included & a matched inlet manifold.

Is the hole from a inlet manifold stud/bolt hole that has been exposed as a result of the boring or tuning? That’s unlikely with a piston port configuration, so is it a reed valve barrel?

Is there any chance of a photo being posted on here?
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby ian i.o.w » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:14 am

Thanks for reply yes I got piston and new cylinder head the barrel I bought has two sizes they had run out of 225 cc barrels and rebored a 200cc barrel out to 225 I did not know about this until I rang to say about small hole and he did explain this sorry no pics need a teenager to do that for me and its not a reed valve cheers
ian i.o.w

Postby HxPaul » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:07 am

If I were you I'd send it back for a replacement,or my money back.No matter what they say a newly bored barrel should not have any marks let alone a hole.
HxPaul

Postby MickYork » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:49 am

I had a Rapido barrel and there was a small hole where the carb' manifold stud was. Didn't cause an issue and ran fine.

I presume when the hole is drilled for the manifold it may go slightly deeper on some barrels, then when the barrel is bored out over-sized the bottom of the hole breaks through. Like I say though, didn't cause any problems.

This was second hand barrels that I had bought, if it was a new barrel I would probably take it back........not right at the end of the day.
MickYork

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:12 am

Manifold holes are commonly exposed when taking out the inlet port to larger size and/or when cutting a boost port into a non reed barrel that has been changed for reed use, these run fine and without issue. However, I've not heard of a stud hole being exposed when over boring to increase cc.

I suggest that this is the result of starting with an aftermarket barrel that was not cast/worked to original spec and hole depths.

I recently had to go through a returns process as I specifically asked if the barrel that I was ordering was a SIL factory barrel (as shown on website)being used for the conversion rebore that I was having carried out to the new barrel. Based on the response being that it was a genuine SIL barrel I placed the order, only to receive an aftermarket Indian barrel that was nothing like original SIL spec and had thinner casting of core/bore, poorly cast/misaligned ports and shallow/weak stud drillings. Considering that the photo on the website is a genuine SIL barrel and that I'd phoned through to specifically confirm that it was a SIL barrel that I was buying, it was a complete farce for me to then be sent an aftermarket (even marked so!) Indian barrel. The returns refund then needed to be chased and I was not refunded until I had to justify why it was not fit for purpose!!!

If I was to specifically confirm that I was buying a red car, then be sent a green one, why T' F' should I have to chase a refund and explain why green was not acceptable?! After a history of failings over the years from this specific dealer (hence going to the effort of confirming by phone), I should have known better and they will not be getting any more trade from me.

Shockingly poor service!

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby lambypolo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:35 am

If it's on the inlet port it will be fine as the manifold stud/bolt will seal it. This was quite common when barrels were shortened for japanese piston conversion.

The OP has't really said exactly where the hole is and where he thinks it goes? How big is it? Where does it lead? It might be an airpocket in the casting that has been exposed by the rebore.
lambypolo

Postby HxPaul » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:00 am

lambypolo wrote:If it's on the inlet port it will be fine as the manifold stud/bolt will seal it. This was quite common when barrels were shortened for japanese piston conversion.

The OP has't really said exactly where the hole is and where he thinks it goes? How big is it? Where does it lead? It might be an airpocket in the casting that has been exposed by the rebore.

If I paid for a top end kit and it came with a hole in the bore,wether it will be ok or not,I would send it back straight away.
HxPaul

Postby ian i.o.w » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:19 pm

Thanks all for the posts I spoke again to the supplier this morning and they said it would be fine or I could send it back for a refund if I was not happy minus postage costs as they say its fit for purpose but I don't feel right about using it so 26.95p down I wish it would of been explained to me before it was sent then this might have been avoided they produce some good products I have used over the yrs and still do thanks again Ian
ian i.o.w

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:06 pm

So, is the hole in the bore or in the inlet port?

BTW. If you ordered ‘on-line’ check out your UK rights. I believe that you are entitled to a full refund & there may be no absolute obligation to even make any effort to return the goods... :!:

That’s my limited understanding & the main reason eBay get out of such an obligation by utilising PayPal which skirts around UK law.

I could be wrong though & it all have been a dream.... :roll:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby ian i.o.w » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:08 pm

cheers for reply it was in the bore were carb manifold studs fit so in the bore I know studs would be in there but just did not feel right to me to use it and I ordered direct on the phone as I like to speak to direct where possible and not e bay or internet not very good at e-mails etc as I said before they are a reputable dealer who produce good products I use and still will I just wish I would of known before hand and this expense and time could of possibly been avoided thanks for your comments
ian i.o.w

Postby johnnyXS » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:28 am

I presume that the barrel is an indian jobbie yes ?

I was astounded at how many barrels from Asia are rendered useless from poor machining and quality control practice.
Have a look at how many damaged barrels , crankcases and heads etc are currently being sold cheap at a well known scooter restoration company and you'll get a good idea what a lottery it is .
I suspect this is quite common as the barrels wern't designed to be bored out to 225cc with enlarged inlet ports. Provided your manifold stud is put in with some liquid gasket like threebond it shouldn't be a problem as others have said as the inlet is relatively cool and only subject to engine vacuum not compressed hot gases
The only safe way is to get a local Engineer to machine a Innocenti 200 barrel to your specs if you can find one
johnnyXS

Return to Tuning & Kits