LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

AF Cassette Road Clutch

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

AF Cassette Road Clutch

Postby kcb » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:16 am

Hello,

Just bought one and the cassette doesn't move very well in the crown wheel.

Is it best to needle file the ears of the cassette or the crown wheel so that the cassette slides up and down easier?

If it is too loose does it cause problems?

Thanks.
kcb

Re: AF Cassette Road Clutch

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:14 am

This is quite normal but you often find that turning the centre will allow you to find a position that it fits reasonably well. Mine have all been like this and only once did I feel it necessary to strip the centre apart and rebuild it, which then allowed it to fit and move better (still tight though). The action has been fine on the road, regardless.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby coaster » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:02 am

Adam_Winstone wrote:This is quite normal but you often find that turning the centre will allow you to find a position that it fits reasonably well. Mine have all been like this and only once did I feel it necessary to strip the centre apart and rebuild it, which then allowed it to fit and move better (still tight though). The action has been fine on the road, regardless.

Adam

Adam, was that to cure 'grabbing'? mine is very jerky whilst being slipped, haven't bothered trying to turn the cassette yet.
coaster

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:59 pm

No, that was before fitting it. It was obvious that the centre was very tight in the basket so I addressed it before fitting. As such, I don't know if this would have resulted in it feeling grabby.... maybe.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby Scooterlam » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:59 pm

coaster wrote:
Adam_Winstone wrote:This is quite normal but you often find that turning the centre will allow you to find a position that it fits reasonably well. Mine have all been like this and only once did I feel it necessary to strip the centre apart and rebuild it, which then allowed it to fit and move better (still tight though). The action has been fine on the road, regardless.

Adam

Adam, was that to cure 'grabbing'? mine is very jerky whilst being slipped, haven't bothered trying to turn the cassette yet.

How did you find the chain tension when you fitted?
Scooterlam

Postby coaster » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:51 pm

Scooterlam wrote:
coaster wrote:

Adam

How did you find the chain tension when you fitted?

I changed the front sprocket at the same time and re-tensioned using the pull down guide.
coaster

Postby coaster » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:02 pm

Took scoot out for a run yesterday and the 'grabbing' has gone 8-) I think this might be because I had to slip the clutch to pull away a couple of times in 2nd due to the cables needing adjustment :oops:
coaster

Return to Tuning & Kits