LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Protech shock

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Protech shock

Postby Muttleyoo7 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:11 am

I've just fitted a Protech rear shock to my GP200 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what preload settings etc I could use as a starting point? I weigh 92 Kgs and ride one up.
Muttleyoo7

Re: Protech shock

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:25 pm

I've recently fitted a protech rear shock to my series 2, and I've just done the euro on it covering over 2000 miles.
Have to say the Protech shock is much better than I realised.
As having been out today on my GP200 that's fitted with a Casa rear shock which handles no where near as good as the Protech fitted to my series 2.

How I set my spring up.

Sat on the scooter with the stand off and my full weight on the scooter, I then made adjustments to the spring preload so that the spring just compressed slightly with my full weight.
I started with the spring wound to its minimum pre load and the spring was much too soft allowing the shock to move more than an inch with me sat on it, with the spring preload turned up turn by turn till the shock just compressed a little with my full weight on .
This gave me the maximum spring preload for my weight without turning the spring into a solid rod, by over adjusting the pre load.

Then with the pre load set I moved the adjustable rebound switch to its softest and just bounced on and off the seat to see how much damping was needed to stop the spring returning too fast adjusting one click at a time. The spring needs to return to its ride height after compressing but if it returns too quickly with too little draping it will make it Yo-Yo and wallow out of bends, too much rebound damping and the spring can't return to its ride hight before hitting the next bump which will reduce shock absorption over bumpy surfaces.
I'm fairly light at 11st 4lb but I've set the rear spring so it just lightly compresses the shock with my full weight on, then the rebound I have dialled in is about midway on the rebound setting dial.

This is working for me and as I said I didn't realise how good a Protech was till I took a ride on my GP today, which compared to the TV wants to bounce me all over the place on anything less than a totally smooth road, or that's what it felt like compared to the proshock.

Hope this is some help.

Mark.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Muttleyoo7 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks for that, I'll have a play when I get a C spanner. Any idea of what size C spanner I need?
Muttleyoo7

Postby Stesjh » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:30 am

I've just brought one from Protech, you will need the 1.9" one.
Stesjh

Postby Muttleyoo7 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm

TVM :D
Muttleyoo7

Return to Tuning & Kits