LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Exhaust

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Exhaust

Postby jefft » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi all new member and my first post.
I would appreciate some advice please , I'm considering changing my rusted and very loud clubman exhaust for a Tino Saatchi ancillotti system for sale on the TASS scooters website. The advertising suggests an improvement of 20% and also a reduction in noise level close to a standard system has anyone fitted this system or can anyone suggest an alternative.
Thanks,
Jefft
jefft

Re: Exhaust

Postby HxPaul » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:18 pm

I've just fitted a Scootopia Ancillotti clubman on my series 3,it fits great without having to fettle it and it sounds fantastic.The other good point is the price,just £95 +p&p.

By the way,welcome to the forum.
HxPaul

Postby Andie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:09 pm

I like the look of the Ancillotti as it has a chrome down pipe (my Clubman u-bend has lost all its paint in a year and cannot be tightened without removing the cowl as the bend prevents socket access on Flywheel side) But I've read mixed reviews about the A's fitting, including blocking oil level plug access.

The Scootering review http://www.scootering.com/exhausting/ favoured the Clubman - on cost as much as anything else -

Is the Saatchi model any different, apart from £70, from the Scootopia version? -

Andrew
Andie

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Andie wrote:
Is the Saatchi model any different, apart from £70, from the Scootopia version? -

Andrew

It has a completely different down pipe http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111987135389? ... EBIDX%3AIT
HxPaul

Postby Andie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:15 pm

HxPaul wrote:
Andie wrote:

Andrew

It has a completely different down pipe http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111987135389? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks - yes, the T.S. seems to have a longer, curvier and sideways down pipe.
http://www.t-a-s-s.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3311

Does your Scootopia pipe tick all the boxes Paul? no stress on fit and can you access the oil filler plug?

Also, how hard is access to the nuts securing the down pipe to the barrell - could you reach to both of them if the head cowl was cut? Thanks
Andie

Postby corrado » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Hmmmm, I've got both [new] I must look closer at the down pipes as at a quick glance I'd never noticed any difference [apart from the obvious £70 lol]
corrado

Postby Andie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks Corrado. Without wanting to totally hijack jefft's post, i'm interested in the differences as I'm pondering between ceramic coating a replacement Clubman u-bend, or going for an Ancillotti, and if the latter which one... I guess a longer pipe gives a lower note.
Andie

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:58 pm

The scootopia Ancillotti fits great without having to fettle anything.As for access to the oil level plug I've never looked and to be quite honest I've never used it.When I do an oil change I just put 50ml in from wet.If its dry its usually from a rebuild and if you need to use the level plug,do your refill before you put on the exhaust system.I cant understand why you would want to access the manifold nuts once the engine is fully built.If you do have to get to the exhaust nuts for some reason,just remove the rear shocker,bump stop and drop the engine down,you can then unfasten the head cowl and remove it with the exhaust still on.
HxPaul

Postby Andie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks Paul. The manifold nut thing is just lazyitus on my part because they came loose on me once and I did as you said, but thought it'd be easier if I could just get straight into them from underneath with a socket or torque wrench.
Andie

Postby robbbee » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Andie wrote:Thanks Corrado. Without wanting to totally hijack jefft's post, i'm interested in the differences as I'm pondering between ceramic coating a replacement Clubman u-bend, or going for an Ancillotti, and if the latter which one... I guess a longer pipe gives a lower note.

Also not wishing to hijack the thread, but I had a BGM Clubman ceramic coated at Zircotek 3 years ago, and it still looks great, plus it keeps cooler. It cost a bloody fortune though.

Hello Jeff, BTW! :D
robbbee

Postby dave411 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Well that's left Jeff totally baffled :roll:
dave411

Postby jefft » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:04 pm

You sure have !!
I was just driven by the better welds, heavier gauge metal and the alleged 20% power increase plus I had one a long long time ago on my tv200 and loved the orange paint and raspy sound.
jefft

Postby dickie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Andie wrote:I like the look of the Ancillotti as it has a chrome down pipe (my Clubman u-bend has lost all its paint in a year and cannot be tightened without removing the cowl as the bend prevents socket access on Flywheel side) But I've read mixed reviews about the A's fitting, including blocking oil level plug access.

The Scootering review http://www.scootering.com/exhausting/ favoured the Clubman - on cost as much as anything else -

Andrew

I had one on my bike for a while. The chrome down pipe was actually bright zinc plated, and burnt off in a couple of hundred miles. Weirdly it was stainless steel underneath so I just cleaned it up and all was well. Yes it blocked the drain plug.

The stub is also odd as it has a smaller cross section than a big bore gasket so I had to open it out or it wouldn't really be a 42mm clubman, more like 38mm.

Seemed nicely put together and I'm keeping it for a project I have on the back burner.
dickie

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:03 pm

The stub is also odd as it has a smaller cross section than a big bore gasket so I had to open it out or it wouldn't really be a 42mm clubman, more like 38mm.

They must have changed them since you got yours,unless they've sent me a 38mm gasket.
HxPaul

Postby corrado » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:52 am

corrado wrote:Hmmmm, I've got both [new] I must look closer at the down pipes as at a quick glance I'd never noticed any difference [apart from the obvious £70 lol]

Having put them side by side and one on top of the other there is very little difference. The downpipe on the Ancillotti isn't quite as rounded as the "U" in the downpipe on the Scootopia but it's pretty negligible and I'd be amazed if it had any effect on the running performance. I do like the fact that the Ancillotti one has the name embossed on the box section, albeit in a place where you can't see it, but I don't like it £70's worth.
corrado

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:48 am

It'll be interesting to see how the Scootopia one fares against the other clubman pipes out there on a dyno, provided that it is a like to like challenge with the pipes being tested on a suitable motor and on the same dyno, bike and day (otherwise any comparison is worthless). I say this as the Tino Ancillotti was designed to work well on the early Imola (baby TS1), which it did surprisingly well, whereas other lower spec' (and cost) clubmans didn't suit these kits. Again, we're very quick to label all original big-bore box pipes as being a clubman, without any consideration of performance for different spec' kits, whereas we wouldn't dream of simply considering all expansions as being the same.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby HxPaul » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:36 am

corrado wrote:
corrado wrote:Hmmmm, I've got both [new] I must look closer at the down pipes as at a quick glance I'd never noticed any difference [apart from the obvious £70 lol]

Having put them side by side and one on top of the other there is very little difference. The downpipe on the Ancillotti isn't quite as rounded as the "U" in the downpipe on the Scootopia but it's pretty negligible and I'd be amazed if it had any effect on the running performance. I do like the fact that the Ancillotti one has the name embossed on the box section, albeit in a place where you can't see it, but I don't like it £70's worth.

According to these photos,the downpipes are different.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMBRETTA-GP- ... 282602efd4
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111987135389? ... EBIDX%3AIT
HxPaul

Postby HxPaul » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:55 pm

dickie wrote:
Andie wrote:I like the look of the Ancillotti as it has a chrome down pipe (my Clubman u-bend has lost all its paint in a year and cannot be tightened without removing the cowl as the bend prevents socket access on Flywheel side) But I've read mixed reviews about the A's fitting, including blocking oil level plug access.

Andrew

I had one on my bike for a while. The chrome down pipe was actually bright zinc plated, and burnt off in a couple of hundred miles. Weirdly it was stainless steel underneath so I just cleaned it up and all was well. Yes it blocked the drain plug.

Seemed nicely put together and I'm keeping it for a project I have on the back burner.

They have deffinitely changed them since you got yours,because you can get to the oil level plug on the engine,the exhaust is well clear of it.
HxPaul

Postby corrado » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 pm

I can't see a photo of a Scootopia exhaust on that link. According to my eyes there's nothing in them.
corrado

Postby HxPaul » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:17 pm

The scootopia exhaust is the second ebay link-this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111987135389? ... EBIDX%3AIT the scootopia exhaust has a two peice downpipe with springs
HxPaul

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits