LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Readspeed 5 Plate Centre spring?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Readspeed 5 Plate Centre spring?

Postby Wee Mark » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Hello again Chaps
Euro prep going well and just gonna fit a 5 plate clutch, a mate has recommended using a CENTRE spring but I thought just using springs with the kit would be OK, the engines not making huge power Rapido Classic 225 30mll Dell and a Stealth exhaust but I will going over the Alps but NOT taking a pillion, I have never fitted a 5 plate or used a centre before just wondered if anyone had any experience/advice that would help....Cheers
Wee Mark

Re: Readspeed 5 Plate Centre spring?

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Most people have cropped centre springs as they seriously limit the depth of travel as they go coil-bound very quickly. Back in the day, centre springs were quite common for use in 4-plate assemblies, which do not need much travel but 5 and 6-plate clutches need more travel depth, not less. This travel depth is why 5 and 6 -plate clutches use deep baskets and fitting a centre spring limits that potential.

Normally, the result of fitting a centre spring to a 5 or 6-plate clutch is to stop it from working correctly and to introduce clutch drag :(

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby missing lynx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:11 am

the springs supplied with the clutch should be enough I've never liked the idea of a centre spring and the people I know that have tried one removed it quite quickly as it seems to cause more problems than it solves
missing lynx

Postby Wee Mark » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks Gents, supplied springs it is....
Wee Mark

Return to Tuning & Kits