LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

new 200 set up

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

new 200 set up

Postby peejay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 am

hi guys
i'm after fitting a new top end kit to my 200 casing.

i want to be able to do 60 on the motorway with a top speed of at least 70.

i really would like it to ride like a standard bike but with a little bit more power and be quiet :)

i've already tried the 225 - big carb - noisy performance pipe - pain in the ass in traffic route and it's not for me any more :(

i'd like to even run it on a 24 jetex with a ram air filter due to having a long range tank fitted so no air box.

any suggestions concidered

cheers

PeeJay
peejay

Re: new 200 set up

Postby rexton270s » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 pm

the worlds your oyster really, all depends on the costing! i think a casa 210 kit would suit but i think its been discontinued! rapido 200,225, give good service,the people that use them love um! GT200 kit is having great reports, i use a avanti 225,30mm dellorto ,varietronics ,and a noisey AF 48mm clubby,with great results now,hated the setup at first but its getting better the more miles i do! not the fastest kit, gives great torque, and gud return on fuel,coped with the heat in italy in june ok!
rexton270s

Postby bike grim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 pm

I've just removed a very good Rapido race 225 from my engine as I'm doing something else. If you are interested let me know. It comes with a solid mount manifold and 30mm PHBH jetted to suit. I used it with a BGM clubman it does 65-70mph using an SX200 gearbox.

Right now, if buying new, I'd opt for the GT200 (or 240) based on feedback from "others"
bike grim

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Peejay,

What spec is the current 225 cylinder? You may already have the top end that you require, just not the right configuration.

More and more of my pals are returning to 225/230 top ends with small-medium carbs and clubman pipes, finding that they're much happier with the spread of power and all-round rieability of the machine, rather than having to chase a narrow powerband up and down the gearbox.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby peejay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:27 pm

hi Adam
current spec is standard RT 225 matched to inlet stub and exhaust pipe, 30mm round slide delli with ram air filter through a GP elbow, sito ancillotti big bore and standard SX 200 gearing

built 3 years ago and done 5,000 miles.

it's happiest cruising at 50, top speed is 65 max on a good day. performance is no better than a 69 GP 200 :(

bhp figures on the dyno are way down on what was quoted by the makers with this set up.

can't believe that i have such a poor performing scoot.
peejay

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:06 am

peejay wrote:hi Adam
current spec is standard RT 225 matched to inlet stub and exhaust pipe, 30mm round slide delli with ram air filter through a GP elbow, sito ancillotti big bore and standard SX 200 gearing

built 3 years ago and done 5,000 miles.

it's happiest cruising at 50, top speed is 65 max on a good day. performance is no better than a 69 GP 200 :(

bhp figures on the dyno are way down on what was quoted by the makers with this set up.

can't believe that i have such a poor performing scoot.

Believe you me, it would tick so many of my boxes if the OEM elbow functioned anywhere near well enough for a Ø30 mm carburettor to gasp sufficient air to feed even a moderately tuned 200 plus engine!

(I find it truly amazing that others seem to claim great power & performance with such an arrangement!)

I can assure you that it wasn't my lack of trying with such an elbow that led me to have to develop my own, as I felt compelled to prove it possible to have adequate filtered air within the confines of the LH panel side.

TBH, the Breathe Sweet arrangement may work well with the state of tune you currently have, but for my own circumstances, I needed to prove to myself that I could come up with my own solution.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby peejay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:13 am

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Believe you me, it would tick so many of my boxes if the OEM elbow functioned anywhere near well enough for a Ø30 mm carburettor to gasp sufficient air to feed even a moderately tuned 200 plus engine!

(I find it truly amazing that others seem to claim great power & performance with such an arrangement!)

I can assure you that it wasn't my lack of trying with such an elbow that led me to have to develop my own, as I felt compelled to prove it possible to have adequate filtered air within the confines of the LH panel side.

TBH, the Breathe Sweet arrangement may work well with the state of tune you currently have, but for my own circumstances, I needed to prove to myself that I could come up with my own solution.

i have had the scoot dyno'ed and the fueling appeared to be ok

i'd like to see the set up you have :)
peejay

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 am

peejay wrote:
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Believe you me, it would tick so many of my boxes if the OEM elbow functioned anywhere near well enough for a Ø30 mm carburettor to gasp sufficient air to feed even a moderately tuned 200 plus engine!

i have had the scoot dyno'ed and the fueling appeared to be ok

i'd like to see the set up you have :)

My understanding is that a dyno operator will obtain the best set-up within the parameters of the machine presented for test & by a process of analysis modify the fuelling (slide, atomiser, needle, jets & float feed) &/or the ignition timing.

Therefore, if a machine arrives with a Clubman type exhaust on, a good set-up should be achieved.

However, if there is some freedom to seek more power/torque & a worthy expansion chamber fitted, the likely result may be greater performance in conjunction with further modifications to the fuelling &/or the ignition timing.

Similarly, should a machine arrive for test that has a restrictive carburettor (or air intake!) then the dyno operator will attempt to achieve the best set-up for what they have been given.

However, some dyno-operators out there will suggest what they see as restrictive on any machine & suggest alternatives.

As for the filter shenanigans that I have gone through, look up my two part response: Tuning & Kits: Re: Air filter options?

When I tested elbows, even without the restriction of any filter, it was fairly easy to assess if they flowed well enough just by wacking the throttle open! You shouldn’t have to ‘nurse’ any engine up to full revs as that is likely to put the rider in a dangerous scenario IMHO.

I will post another image or so later (today, hopefully) of the filter in situ as that other photo doesn’t do it justice.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:06 am

Hey Peejay

I'm with Adam, it may very well be worth persevering with the RT barrel...

I bunged an RT 225 engine together literally a week before Italy & I'm well chuffed with the results. It pulls a beaut & is more 'rideable' (apart from standard) than any previous engines/states of tune I've ridden in the past.

Matched manifolds, (tad noisy) BGM clubman, 25 mil thru drilled airbox deli Scootopia filter, 18 x 47 (I think) Italian GP gearbox

Sits at 60, easily tops 70 & ate Stelvio for breakfast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knvOCxw5ulQ

I appreciate that you've got a long range tank & so the airbox option would entail rejigging/returning to a standard tank but the 80ish mile to Shipston journey saw me with a good fifth of a tank of fuel left over on arrival, not bad consumption really...

Dyno readings are just numbers, it's real world performance that counts.... Check out the rising sun YPVS on the same site MENTAL!

Cheerz Andy
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 am

Andy B.L.C. wrote:Hey Peejay

I'm with Adam, it may very well be worth persevering with the RT barrel...

I bunged an RT 225 engine together literally a week before Italy & I'm well chuffed with the results. It pulls a beaut & is more 'rideable' (apart from standard) than any previous engines/states of tune I've ridden in the past.

Matched manifolds, (tad noisy) BGM clubman, 25 mil thru drilled airbox deli Scootopia filter, 18 x 47 (I think) Italian GP gearbox

Sits at 60, easily tops 70 & ate Stelvio for breakfast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knvOCxw5ulQ

I appreciate that you've got a long range tank & so the airbox option would entail rejigging/returning to a standard tank but the 80ish mile to Shipston journey saw me with a good fifth of a tank of fuel left over on arrival, not bad consumption really...

Dyno readings are just numbers, it's real world performance that counts.... Check out the rising sun YPVS on the same site MENTAL!

Cheerz Andy

There do appear to be quite a few fans of the kit but I think peejay is justified in anticipating something toward the top end of the claim on the MRB site:

“Power out put vary depending on set up and who’s dyno is used, we’ve seen from 9 – 22bhp from a standard cylinder”

You surely have to wonder how the “22bhp” version differed from peejay’s set-up. Although I agree, to an extent that, "Dyno readings are just numbers, it's real world performance that counts" but surely MRB are presumably claiming the "22bhp" from their own dyno?

In the video clip that is mentioned, they quote:

“13.34 BHP @ 7022 RPM” & “10.56 FT/LB TORQUE @ 6229 RPM”

To have paid £452.35 just for the cylinder kit that ultimately makes only marginally more power than a standard GP 200 doesn’t seem to be good VFM to me, so I guess I must be missing the point...
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:26 am

Mornin'

As a reply to the above & to qualify my post some more...

I would imagine that any manufacturers claimed power output would, as Warkton C states, be on their 'own' dyno (the shiny dyno, as has been pointed out to me by fellow Bristol L.C. member & B.S.S.O. racer Tom Russell is a low reading dyno & thus realistic, not a bad thing in my books) on a motor that has been meticulously blueprinted in perfect conditions with the best run being quoted. I don't recall any 200's that I've owned in the past ever having seen much over 65mph, & that was one up. All I know is that fully laden the RT pulls like a train even from low down in every gear & without screaming the nuts off it, with the resultant increased component wear, sits happily all day at a good mile munching speed with enough left over. I'm not an advertising executive, far from it, but my set up makes me smile - a change to a 30 mil carb not strangled by an air box would in all likelyhood up the BHP some but I'm happy with things as they are :) Spending money always hurts but IMHO the increased acceleration, rideability, cooling etc etc made for a justifiable investment...

Andy
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Andy B.L.C. wrote:Mornin'

As a reply to the above & to qualify my post some more...

I would imagine that any manufacturers claimed power output would, as Warkton C states, be on their 'own' dyno (the shiny dyno, as has been pointed out to me by fellow Bristol L.C. member & B.S.S.O. racer Tom Russell is a low reading dyno & thus realistic, not a bad thing in my books) on a motor that has been meticulously blueprinted in perfect conditions with the best run being quoted. I don't recall any 200's that I've owned in the past ever having seen much over 65mph, & that was one up. All I know is that fully laden the RT pulls like a train even from low down in every gear & without screaming the nuts off it, with the resultant increased component wear, sits happily all day at a good mile munching speed with enough left over. I'm not an advertising executive, far from it, but my set up makes me smile - a change to a 30 mil carb not strangled by an air box would in all likelyhood up the BHP some but I'm happy with things as they are :) Spending money always hurts but IMHO the increased acceleration, rideability, cooling etc etc made for a justifiable investment...

Andy

I finished my last comment by saying that I must be “missing the point” but your response, though, no doubt, well intentioned has done nothing to change that.

In a way I admire the loyal following that there might be for the kits (or is it perhaps loyalty toward the originator?)

However, as peejay has shown, the love for the kit is not universal.

As Andy BLT has remarked that the power readings:

(“Power out put vary depending on set up and who’s dyno is used, we’ve seen from 9 – 22bhp from a standard cylinder”)

quoted on the MRB site may have been:

“on a motor that has been meticulously blueprinted in perfect conditions with the best run being quoted”

that rather conflicts with the “standard cylinder” & other statements on the MRB site which infer that it is a ‘bolt on kit’

There are other ‘bolt on kits’ that I would say deliver more. The Gran Turismo, for instance, although that’s only comparable based on price, having been designed to incorporate a reed valve. Or how about the RB20 which, within the BSSO rules, CANNOT be modified yet is running in the Production Class giving some Group Four runners a battle to contend with?

Dig a little deeper & it appears that within the small print of the glossy BGM short form catalogue there appears some further evidence as to how that “22bhp” may have been attained.

“BGM2225 RT KIT – BGM2105 BIGBOX CBMAN – BGM11065 60MM CRANK – 28MM CAR”

So, now the:

“Power out put vary depending on set up and who’s dyno is used, we’ve seen from 9 – 22bhp from a standard cylinder”

was probably obtained with the following:

Kit £452.35

Crank £242.55

Base Packer £12.56

Which is a basic cost of £707.46 excluding the small end bearing.

I haven’t factored in the cost of carburettor, manifold & exhaust.

This isn’t ‘my’ argument as all I’m doing is expressing some empathy with the original Poster that has stated dissatisfaction for the failure to deliver of a kit that has been developed by somebody that certainly had a lot to say about the Rapido when it came out!

To an extent, we are 'singing from the same hymn sheet' in that, like others have, I too would advocate that peejay persevere with the kit, not least because of all the money inevitably spent!

In fact, I said I would Post an image of the filter/elbow combination that I believe contributed hugely to allowing my own set-up to breathe so much better, but my camera won't upload to this PC @ the moment :roll:

However, I would hope that we have common ground in wishing peejay some fresh luck in achieving a better result than his current experience, but evidentaly it will not be achieved by simply visiting yet another dyno operator.... ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm

What size is your RAMAIR filter? I've tried these and they really restrict airflow unless they are VERY big. I was initially supplied one that was way too small and totally strangled performance on a standard iron 175 with clubman. I then moved to a RAMAIR that was twice the size and it was much better but still limited performance. I then moved to a Breathe Sweet and the performance increased again, now not seeming to limit performance in the slightest. Initially I ran the Breathe Sweet on the hose that they come with but it interfered with the side panel, even on a further shortened manifold, so I tested it on a standard GP airhose and found that it made little difference. It may well be that the airhose is a factor but it certainly wasn't the most limiting factor in my back to back tests, with the filter size and type playing the biggest role.

Since my own experience, I've noted dealers supplying pals of mine with small RAMAIR filters bonded to standard GP airhoses and they have all found that fitting one to an already set up open mouthed carb has totally cut performance back to near standard performance. I see no reason to kit a bike and then configure it in a manner that undoes all of the benefit that the component upgrades would otherwise deliver.

Please note that I'm totally up for Peejay trying different filter and hose arrangements, and would certainly suggest ditching the RAMAIR, but I wonder if we're not getting side-tracked by the filter/hose issue, rather than considering other factors that might be limiting performance? I'll have to go back and review the motor configuration as a whole but I'd keep an open mind to any/all components (or combination of parts) possibly limiting this from delivering as it should... and as others with similar setups have suggested work well for them.

A good example of possible issues is how ignition can function as a limiting factor. Indeed, as Scootering showed in their recent P-range tuning feature, ignitions are often factory configured as rev-limiters to limit output/revs. I recently experienced this when swapping out stators (issue with lighting supply) on a bike that I've done thousands of miles on. With the new stator fitted the bike would start perfectly, pull away cleanly, not misfire but refuse to rev. Yes, you could potter about on it reliably but it totally transformed it for the worse, my rev counter showing a drop of about 1000 rpm and stopping the motor from coming onto the rev range where pipe and kit worked in harmony! I'd already ensured that pickup and flywheel trigger were aligned, all readings good (I'd just repaired this respected brand stator by fitting a new respected brand pickup, checking readings) so I popped the old stator back on and the performance was back. My rev counter then showed that the revs were back and all was back to normal (... still no lights :lol: ). So, back in the garage and review pickup alignment again on the questionable stator, with only a change for the worse being achievable. So, pinch a donor pickup off an old P-range stator and, hey presto, back to full revs and full performance. Whether the pickup itself was faulty (remembering that it was new and 'top brand') or whether it was slightly longer and sat it further away from the flywheel's trigger ('air gap' measurements are something that I've read about in 2-stroke circles but we seem to pay little attention to in scootering circles), I don't know, but replacing it transformed the performance.

It may well be that the air hose is one of the problems. It could well be that the RAMAIR is the Achilles heel. However, I really do think that Peejay might find that he already has all the components that he wants, just that the configuration is wrong or that certain elements are limiting the kit from performing as it should. The more suggestions to help him the better!

Good luck Peejay but please don't immediately ditch this in the hope that the next purchase delivers what you're looking for. I'd hate for you to change out the kit, pipe, carb, etc. and then find that you've still got the same limiting factor in the mix and are no better off for your effort and expenditure.

Good luck with it.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:10 pm

WT1 is 100% right that the advertising is somewhat misleading and this has been the topic of a number of threads, however, many have reached the conclusion that the advertising was not intended to deceive but that it is worded in a way that many/most are expecting more from it (BHP figures) in standard form than it actually delivers. That said, most people might find that it is not delivering the BHP figures that they were expecting but that the broad power spread and reasonable BHP do deliver a bike that does most things fairly well under most conditions, which is more than can be said for many kits.

Also, please remember that many standard GP200s (incl. SIL IV) make no more than 9 BHP on some dynos... but 15 on others! Dynos seem almost as easy to tune as Lambretta speedos :lol:

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Gasp!

With luck, these images show the 'scale' of what I've ended up with (ignore the fact that it is a VHB as it is now a re-engineered two stroke carb & much more responsive than the bl**dy PHBH's) in a tapered elbow that sits on a spigot ring directly on the carb & equally suits a PHBH. The filter end is about Ø50 mm & has a stainless, perforated core to which the filter material is attached. Obviously, it all sits beneath a side panel, but the inlet manifold was already as short as it could be.

(BTW I make no apologies for preferring a flat slide carburettor having read various tuner's guides as to why, even now, the likes of Lectron are still a superb product, not only in the area of the venturi)

DSCN3588 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 pm

^... good size filter. Is this single skinned foam or double? The killer for the RAMAIRs is that they are 2 skin and the inner one is a great filter for keeping out debris but also does a pretty good job of restricting air flow too. RAMAIR are excellent filters but they need to be big to pass sufficient to meet the needs of a decent sized carb or engine.

If you Google 'RAMAIR filter for Lambretta' then you'll see just how small some sold for Lambretta use are! My experience suggest that you need one at least as big as the Breathe Sweet for an iron 175, even then they are much more restrictive because of their double skin/fine inner construction.

That is an excellent elbow and route though, which I have no doubt flow better than any of the readily available Lambretta filter hoses do. I can see just how short your manifold is and how far your carb is back from the panel. Sadly, most off the shelf manifolds and carb configurations probably couldn't run that hose and filter without interfering with the panel :( I like the lengths (no pun intended) to better the situation and to make the best of it.

Adam

PS - My short break away from screen was to go and swap out a stator on a bike that has been progressively developing a misfire, which I wasn't sure was electrical or carburation (wear) related. A quick test ride to the petrol station and back has shown that the misfire is gone. How timely.... the replacement stator is the one I was talking about previously, now with the lighting fixed :)
Adam_Winstone

Postby peejay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 am

thanks guys for all the comments. i'll post some more info about my motor with pics on fri afternoon
peejay

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Adam_Winstone wrote:^... good size filter. Is this single skinned foam or double?

It's 'only' single skinned but nominal 16 mm thickness. I don't know the density/filter measurement value but would/should/could be a lot more scientific about that in the future.

(I've moved on from tolerating my 40" baggies getting plastered with petroil on the left leg, but what prompted me to go through the process was just the desire for some prevention of the mess of an open carb, even with panels fitted with no hole. Had a Ø40 mm elbow or GP bellows re-routing the air 'stack' vertically worked for my engine, I wouldn't have even probably bothered with a filter @ all)

I got drawn in by the need to prove to myself something & it snowballed a bit, like these things do... :roll:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Adam_Winstone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:15 pm

^... me too.

The need to run a filter was brought home to me when I got caught in heavy rain going to Euro Belgium, riding up from Brittany via Orleans and Paris, spending a number of hours riding in horrible conditions. When I next took the panels off my bike the entire inside (frame, tank, toolbox, the lot!) was covered with debris/grime, including covering the outside of my Breathe Sweet filter. Had I not been running a filter I would have ended up with lots of muck going into the workings, which at best would have resulted in rapid wear, at worst.... ?!

IMO a decent filter system has to be the way forward but there are plenty of VERY restrictive offerings being sold and the worst one I've come across so far is the small RAMAIRs on GP airhose, with larger RAMAIR not that far behind. I'm not doubting that the standard airhose is also a restriction, I'm sure it is.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby Meds » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi peejay
I know it's not a 200 but I have an RT195,60mmx110 rod,30mm PHBH, BGM exhaust and a Breathsweet air filter.
I had it dynod by PM tuning with and without the air filter, there was no need to change the jetting, just a slight drop in power, before spending a load of cash it might be worth changing the air filter.
The comparison between my 2 scoots.
The RT is kicking out 18hp (which is similar to my rapido race 225) but the power delivery is very different. The RT delivers through the range, pulls up hills etc, where as the Rapido (with the set up I have ) likes fast A roads and isn't as easy to ride.
Mine pulls to 60 MPH a doddle then tops out 65, 70 screwing it, it has lost some power since I changed the piston, I need to clean the air filter and try again.
My opinion only - if I had to do it again I probably wouldn't buy a rapido- it's thirsty on fuel without a reed and add in the price of a reed block and you are up into TS1 price range.
Last edited by Meds on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meds

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits