LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Electronic ignition for 6 volt SX200

Need specific detail for a particular model, or just found something strange and interesting and want to know if its original. All attention to detail seekers report here!
Strict no chatter

Electronic ignition for 6 volt SX200

Postby Trevor S » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:52 am

I own a dead original 1967 SX200. Its been off the road and in storage since around 1978/9 with around 21,000 miles.
Re commissioned with a new battery, cables and a few new minor parts, it runs and everything works. I listen what people advice
and I would like to upgrade to electronic ignition.

Now, is there a 6 volt electronic ignition system that can be fitted without heroic or costly alterations to such an original looking scooter?

I have seen photo's of many types of ignition and 12 volt kits fitted to Lambretta's. The primary coloured components are often fitted
in very prominent positions and look - well naff! I'm sure however most could be tucked out of sight.

Anyone have experience of actually fitted such a system?

Trevor S
Trevor S

Re: Electronic ignition for 6 volt SX200

Postby ULC Soulagent » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:11 pm

Apparently you can fit an Ant Tambs outboard trigger setup but ain’t seen it done as of yet. I was looking at the same dilemma with a spare Jet200 engine I’d bought which has small taper crank and 6v points system but will probably strip top end and replace with gp crank n 12v lecky :|
ULC Soulagent

Postby bookertmgs1 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:16 pm

Don’t know if it was Antony Tambs that was putting the coil electronics into the old aluminium cylinders – that would be a step forward for you. I also think a similar thing was being sold on the SIP or SC websites

You can get LI taper electronic flywheels – or a replacement LI flywheel boss if you already have a GP one
bookertmgs1

Postby dickie » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:27 pm

I can't help wondering why you only want to change the ignition. In my humble opinion, it's rarely an upgrade; look through this forum, or the many Facebook groups and there are dozens (that's being optimistic) of people with failed electronic ignition systems.

Unless I were going to increase the rpm or compression ratio of an engine significantly, I'd rather retain the originality of what is certainly one of the most sought after original lambretta models.

Just my opinion, feel free to discard it. :D
dickie

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:48 am

As above.
If it ain't broke then why bother trying to fix it?
There's now't wrong with points on a standard tuned engine providing they they are appropriately set up and maintained and will likely prove more reliable than the iffy "off the shelf" Cdi stators that regularly let people down, as the many postings on this issue in this forum are testament too.
Points stators are fixable at the side of the road. CDi ones are likely not.
Chances are good that the +55 yr old condensor on your plate is the original? Just fit a new condensor. Granted, the similarly aged HT coil could become an issue due to insulation breakdown but suitable replacements are available. Personally, I would just swap it out, for peace of mind, and then get out on it and enjoy. How about posting a picture Trev? :D
Fast n Furious

Postby Trevor S » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:44 pm

Hi Fast n Furious and Dikie,
Its nice that you have similar opinions of electronic ignitions as myself. Just thinking it is more than 43 years since the scooter was used. I want the scooter to be reliable and usable. Everything is working at present so I don't want to change it without benefit. There is a lot of advise to fit electronic ignition.
Is it really necessary? I automatically change the condenser, checked the coil. So far no replies with existing electronic kits.

Back in the day (late 60's and 70's ignition problems were infrequent. Most common was the plug or HT lead, point adjustment, condenser, earth lead and once or twice a coil. I got some real bargain's Lambretta's through duff condensers and broken earth wires.
Mention points and distributers to a highly trained computer diagnostic mechanic (technician) and they roll on the floor in hysterics. To be fair it works
both ways - explain to me why an electronic hand brake or automatic windscreen wipers are a benefit.

I'm now a rich man apparently having received the Club valuation for the SX. The valuation is more than I have spent on all my cars and bikes since 1966. That include top of the range cars, several vintage and classic vehicles.
Trevor S
Trevor S

Postby Trevor S » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:10 pm

A couple of pictures of the SX200. Just as supplied via Lambretta Concessionaries, Croydon.
Complete with black seat, grey trim and battery. It should have colour on the side panels. One side was green t'other red!
Thought I would leave them white so the next keeper can choose if they wish.
Trevor S
Trevor S

Postby coaster » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:23 pm

Points ignitions CAN work fine but they are in now way fit and forget. The performanve drops off noticably over a few thousand miles. My lambretta riding goes back to the end of the 60's and I can recall many a miserable hour spent fiddling around laying in the gutter filing dirty points through the tiny gap in the flywheel :? I had good eye sight back then but 50 years later not so good. Electronic every day for me, I have one of the new VAPE systems on one scooter and an Anthony Tambs Scootronic stator on the other with one of his external pickups fitted. That gives the option to quickly swap over to the internal pick up in case of failure. Each to their own though ;)
coaster

Postby Trevor S » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:36 am

Hi Coaster,
It sounds like we are of a similar age, and should know better.
I know where you are coming from with trying to adjust points though a small window.
Burnt points can usually suggest a failing condenser. Symptom: Start up fine, drive 1/2 mile and the engine stalls and will not start.
By the time it takes to remove clean the plug and re fit it, the engine will run OK for the rest of the day. Does that sound familiar?
Took me months to figure that out as a new rider. I got a couple of bargain Lambretta's because of similar faults.
There is a modern problem (for all classic vehicles) with pattern points made in sunnier climes. They are often tight on the pin and stick open
when hot. I always run a correct size drill through before fitting.
I digress: As the SX is so original I will try to keep it that way, but its got to be reliable. Which is why I only want to change the ignition and stay
with 6 volts. Do either of the electronic kits mentioned require a flywheel change?
Have tried to post pictures (upload attachment) but they did not work.
Trevor S
Trevor S

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:08 am

All CDi stators require their own dedicated flywheel unless you opt to exclusively use an external pick up.
Fast n Furious

Postby Trevor S » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:13 am

Thanks for the many replies to my dilemma about fitting electronic ignition to my SX200.
I have taken on board all the advice and experience of you Guy's. Even had a look at what's available and what's claimed fot it.
This all started because I could not get more than a slight glow from the tail light. All other's good. I thought 12 volts and be dammed!
Eventually I discarded the new tail light bulbs and fitted a very old one - all is well.
So the electrics including ignition are all working.
Until I have running problems I will put the 12 volt conversion on the back burner.
Trevor S
Trevor S

Return to Anorak's Corner