LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Sometimes we forget the simple things

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Sometimes we forget the simple things

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:53 am

Properly functioning Surflex 5 plate clutch on TS1 but changed gear housing and lever as old pivot hole was way over 8mm

Clutch then starts dragging badly. I then wasted a couple of hours before I remembered that sometimes just taking a dremel to the lever works

Just thought I’d share this as it has helped me sort clutches out in the past.
Storkfoot

Re: Sometimes we forget the simple things

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Good point. Can also be the result of fitting balloon grips or poorly shaped levers, including some of the dog-leg levers on the market, which hit the grip very quickly.
Adam_Winstone

Re: Sometimes we forget the simple things

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:03 pm

There are two other ways of obtaining more movement in the depression of the clutch that many people overlook:

If the crankcase cover lever is lifted from it's splines & rotated ACW (toward the rear) to a more acute angle, then more angular rotation is obtained. This may contradict what manuals may advise for the lever positioning, but it works. (Think of a piston near TDC & how many degrees are rotated for very little linear movement & you might get why it works)

Similarly, if the crankcase cover lever is cut & welded shorter, more angular movement will be obtained. This was an absolute must when nine plate clutches were utilised.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3