LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby Timbo23 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:19 am

My SX200 Has a frame and engine number SX2008409** which makes it a 1966 but DVLA have it registered as a 1968 (F)
It seems this mistake occurred in 1998 as the VO5 shows Date of first registration in UK as 1998

Firstly I’m sure making a vehicle appear newer is illegal and secondly my insurance could be invalid as the details are not correct?

Has anyone any similar experience of this?

I’ll now have to inform DVLA but I’m not sure what can of worms this will open
Timbo23
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:04 am

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:49 am

Entirely plausible that it was produced by the factory 2 years before it was registered in the UK. I had an Li150 years ago that was similar.
User avatar
Storkfoot
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby bookertmgs1 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:45 am

Storkfoot wrote:Entirely plausible that it was produced by the factory 2 years before it was registered in the UK. I had an Li150 years ago that was similar.


Don’t think you actually read the post - it’s an import 1st registered in 1998.

I think the DVLA will issue you a new registration mark with evidence that it is indeed 1966. I suppose this would mean a dating certificate but not sure if you would need an inspection

I’d call them for advice, you can be non specific and not quite your existing reg
bookertmgs1
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:41 am

Timbo23 wrote:My SX200 Has a frame and engine number SX2008409** which makes it a 1966 but DVLA have it registered as a 1968 (F)
It seems this mistake occurred in 1998 as the VO5 shows Date of first registration in UK as 1998

Firstly I’m sure making a vehicle appear newer is illegal and secondly my insurance could be invalid as the details are not correct?

Has anyone any similar experience of this?

I’ll now have to inform DVLA but I’m not sure what can of worms this will open


Hi, I think you should be able to get it changed but you will definitely need to get a Dating Letter from myself first. Please see here for full instructions:-

http://www.ilambretta.co.uk/register.html

Most likely that it was dated wrongly in 1998 so a new Dating letter should clear it up. Your insurance will be fine if you have told them exactly what DVLA have already registered it as.

Rich'
User avatar
Rich Oswald
 
Posts: 4751
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 3:30 pm
Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:56 am

bookertmgs1 wrote:
Storkfoot wrote:Entirely plausible that it was produced by the factory 2 years before it was registered in the UK. I had an Li150 years ago that was similar.


Don’t think you actually read the post - it’s an import 1st registered in 1998.

I think the DVLA will issue you a new registration mark with evidence that it is indeed 1966. I suppose this would mean a dating certificate but not sure if you would need an inspection

I’d call them for advice, you can be non specific and not quite your existing reg


Yep. Apologies. Reading quickly with contacts in.
User avatar
Storkfoot
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby missing lynx » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Sorry to sound daft but why does it matter it won't affect how it works or what it would be worth if you sold it. Also in theory a scooter could sit in a dealers for a few year and would only be registered when it was sold so you could have a C reg S2 or a H reg SX so the reg only relates to the date of registration and not year of manufacture I know this becomes a bit of a grey area with foreign imports given age related plates but personally it wouldn't bother me
missing lynx
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby ROClarke » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Yeh,but 1966 was a special year for some reason :D :D
User avatar
ROClarke
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby vintage65scoot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:41 pm

hi just my 2pence worth if the scooter is registered as a 1998 bike its does not qualify for historic tax which as a 1966 bike it is eligible to have ie FREE TAX and secondly if the owner lives anywhere near London can stick two fingers up at the ultra low emission zone as the scooter becomes an historic vehicle so is also exempt from this and as you know this WILL eventually become country wide where ever you live town or city . That is as the law stands today
vintage65scoot
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:22 am

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:55 pm

vintage65scoot wrote:hi just my 2pence worth if the scooter is registered as a 1998 bike its does not qualify for historic tax which as a 1966 bike it is eligible to have ie FREE TAX and secondly if the owner lives anywhere near London can stick two fingers up at the ultra low emission zone as the scooter becomes an historic vehicle so is also exempt from this and as you know this WILL eventually become country wide where ever you live town or city . That is as the law stands today


I am sorry but you are wrong my friend. Historic Vehicle status is determined by when a vehicle was manufactured and NOT when it was registered. There are very many recent imports which are indeed elegible for Historic Vehicle status!

Rich'
User avatar
Rich Oswald
 
Posts: 4751
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 3:30 pm
Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby vintage65scoot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:39 pm

From what ive read the DVLA have agreed the the chassis number is a 1966 therefore it is an historic vehicle because of age of manufacture at some point the bike has been imported or re registered for whatever reason its the date of 1st registration ie 1998 which it probably was so therefore historic tax can be applied for I have done this myself successfully on a motorcycle a 1975 bike and date of first registration still says 2007 a new dating letter and an enclosed letter asking to be changed to an historic vehicle was all I had to do not trying and tread on anyones toes
vintage65scoot
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:22 am

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby Timbo23 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Just for clarification;

The scooter was deemed in 1998 by DVLA as a Lambretta scooter first registered in 1968 and issued with an age related plate, suffix F, and was as is standard practice granted Historic status so tax and now MOT exempt.
I presume the clerk at DVLA who checked the year of registration got his 98 confused with his 66 and suddenly it became a 1968 scooter in the system, things were a lot different in 1998 than they are now .....

So, the V5 states Year first registered in the UK 1998, Year of first registration 1968 and the scooter is furnished with a suffix F registration number, all well and good until I checked the frame and engine number from the database and noticed it actually related to a 1966 scooter.

What does that matter.... they were still manufacturing SX200’s in 1968 so who cares?

I do... for these reasons
Timbo23
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:04 am

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby Timbo23 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:26 pm

1. Any prospective buyer would be forgiven for thinking it’s a poorly executed fake.

2. I could end up in a legal wrangle with my insurers and prospectively give them a get out of jail card

3. The scooter is a 1966 so should display the correct number plate.
Timbo23
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:04 am

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby Timbo23 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:31 pm

I’ve tried entering into dialogue with DVLA to start the ball rolling but couldn’t get past the chat robot with preemptive answers instructing me to tick the “No box and still apply for my road refund licence in the usual way”..... WTF?

I’ll perseve and continue with contacting them once I’m back home next week, I can’t wait for them to ask me for money to rectify the problem, given it was their administrative errors not mine, time will tell....

I would however be glad to accept a post 1962 birth certificate for myself issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages, any ideas please PM me LOL
Timbo23
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:04 am

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby vintage65scoot » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Timbo the year of manufacture could be 1966 but by the time it was sold and first registered that could have well been 1968 there are many cars bikes scooters out there with the correct chassis numbers for a certain year that were not sold on that year so if the numbers are correct it then makes the scooter a correct SX200
vintage65scoot
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:22 am

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby gizmo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:10 pm

[quote="Timbo23"]I’ve tried entering into dialogue with DVLA to start the ball rolling but couldn’t get past the chat robot with preemptive answers instructing me to tick the “No box and still apply for my road refund licence in the usual way”..... WTF?

I’ll perseve and continue with contacting them once I’m back home next week, I can’t wait for them to ask me for money to rectify the problem, given it was their administrative errors not mine, time will tell....

I would however be glad to accept a post 1962 birth certificate for myself issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages, any ideas please PM me LOL[/quote Unfortunately if you do get a post 1962 birth certificate just like your scooter you will still be older. :lol: ] I actually had the dvla ring me once. Some how I had taxed scooter twice and they wanted one of the discs back. I've ticked it off my bucket list. Getting to talk to a dvla man. And he was Welsh too
gizmo
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:43 pm

Re: My SX 200 Has a 1968 (F) reg but is a 1966

Postby Hornbyfrog123 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 pm

I have a scooter that is registered 5 years after manufacture, I love riding it and think all the trouble you are taking is like p.......g into the wind!
Hornbyfrog123
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 pm


Return to Frequently Asked Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest